CM Week 2 Bear Sample from Increasing Contrast Lesson

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Hello.

You discussed contrast using a Bear image and had a link to download this image for experimentation.  I decided to experiment with this image.  I like the Lab version and dislike the RGB version.  I believe the RGB version is too green - what do you think?  I believe the Lab version has a substantial improvement.

Do you have any recommendations for additional improvements and fixing the RGB version?

Thank you
David
Attachments
20101223_bearsample_lab1screenshot-jpg
20101223_bearsample_lab1screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3599 times
20101223_bearsample_rgb1screenshot-jpg
20101223_bearsample_rgb1screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3599 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:41 pm

I think the RGB version needs a better neutral.  You are correct that it is too green but you need to changed that.  You probably like the LAB version better because the lightness and contrast are not linked to color...As you go after contrast in RGB you will effect the color some...
Remember...
Bears usually never have Green or Blue fur.

You LAB version could use a bit more contrast but it is OK for now...When you increase the contrast the colors take a bit of a beating in LAB and you have to add saturation...In this image you need to watch the blues..they almost drop out of the image as you go...That is what makes the nose so much trouble it appears to be the only blue in the image and your eye finds it very fast.

To fix the RGB version start with another neutral and then look for natural colors that "should" be there  my example above is a good start.  Green hair is a big tip off...Set a Hue Clock in the fur at various brightnesses you need to have more than 20 points of separation between them so that you can adjust the RGB.  If the fur is too green look at the hue clocks and see where you can adjust to effect it.  Many times you would jump right into a Green channel adjustment but you might want to think deeper than that...You can also adjust the red and blue See shot 1 I always try to use your image as a starting point so you can follow along...

I did this correction by not using green to show you that you can think about color in many different terms...Something that is too red is can also be seen as not enough cyan...Too Green could be not enough Magenta...I do not mean to suggest that it is the best method..

Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-21
screenshot001-jpg-21 (234.46 KiB) Viewed 3599 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”