CM Week 2 - Example 2

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello.

I performed the adjustments to this image in Lab.  I tired to produce a similar result in RGB, however, the Lab is more saturated given a closer appearance to acrylic paints.  I also believe the Lab version shows the writing better.

Please comment.

Thank you
David
Attachments
20101222_c1s2-example2_lab1screensshot-jpg
20101222_c1s2-example2_lab1screensshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3163 times
20101222_c1s2-example2_rgb1screensshot-jpg
20101222_c1s2-example2_rgb1screensshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3163 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:01 am

David,
Both of these adjustments really rely on the brightness choices you make in the image. 

Here is the tough part...I hope everyone is reading this...lol...

The definition of "significant" is the real problem here...For instance here is my thought process for this image. 
1) The text and the pictures are what this image is all about.
2) The shadow side on the left has no significant value to the image so I'm not going to worry if I block it up.  There is no detail in there anyway.
3) If I overdo the highlights I change the focus of the image from the details in the print to the flash highlights...I need to keep them in check they are significant if I blow them out.
4) As I add contrast in RGB the color will get better I just need to set a real solid neutral.  White paper is a good candidate if I can find a white piece of paper...BTW thee are multiple pieces in this image.
5) If I take this into LAB and get the tones right with a solid neutral I can crank up the saturation slider and be done fast.

All the information you need to know about this image should be here...If there is something you think I should add to this by all means add it...not kidding i sometimes miss the obvious...

Your LAB version is clearly better but the highlights make it tough on the eyes...When you take the highlights down a bit the blue flares up less in the shining parts of the image...
For RGB you need to build contrast more than mid-tones...Try just moving both ends of the curve in towards the center before you try curving the mid tones..

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”