Bursal - First Assignment

This is the Forum Board for posting to the July 2012 Class
Bursal

Postby Bursal » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Duck 1 - Started with the wizard in rgb and set three points and that is all I did. I don’t mind the colour, but when I had finished I decided it was maybe a little too red and it could use some brightness.

Duck 2 - I did the same with Lab and this one seems to have a greenish cast, but what should be white is white and that does for the black. So it could be technically correct, I am not familiar with this type of duck.

Duck 3 - This time I went back to rgb and I used the wizard as a starting point, this time I set the neutral on the webbing on the duck’s foot as I seemed to get less colour cast than on the leg band. I also used the brightness slider this time. I followed the wizard up with some minute adjustment to the green and red channels.

Di
Attachments
duck1-jpg
duck1-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5036 times
duck2-jpg
duck2-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5036 times
duck3-jpg
duck3-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5036 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:20 am

Duck 1 : You are correct in that it is a bit too red especially in the shadows.  If you look at greg00.jpg attached you can see that the "before" numbers for the red channel are a touch high.  I would also add a touch of contrast to the image.  You would never see this by just using the Wizard so no worries about the total package.

Attachments
greg00-jpg-8
greg00-jpg-8 (302.77 KiB) Viewed 5036 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 am

Duck 2: I see this as more cyan than green.  In LAB it is harder to find neutral because LAB can accommodate only 1 neutral so your choice becomes critical.  Here choosing the leg band as a neutral is a safe choice and if you shop the neutral around the leg band a bit you will find some places where the image looks better than others.  Last thing you might want to try is adding saturation using the slider. 

In LAB as you adjust the L channel with shadow and highlight points you change the saturation of the colors as well because the brightness of any given pixel has changed.  you need to add saturation to make the image more normal again.

In fact if you just add saturation your image looks pretty good overall...attached image is your posting with the saturation added back.

Greg
Attachments
greg01-jpg-10
greg01-jpg-10 (155.25 KiB) Viewed 5036 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 am

Duck3:  Not too bad on the color overall... but again for this image your contrast is causing you problems.  In the screen shot attached I boosted the contrast by moving the shadow end of the curve.  From the wizard you need to choose a different shadow point and see if you can add more contrast. 

After that try it in the full interface and see if you can add contrast using the RGB master curve.  If you do not see the master curve you need to turn it on in the config panel.  Click on the settings tab and activate the master curve as shown in the second screen shot.  This is one area where you need to just play a bit..I know it feels wild and out of control but it will be easier after this week.

Greg
Attachments
greg02-jpg-8
greg02-jpg-8 (282.34 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
greg03-jpg-6
greg03-jpg-6 (44.06 KiB) Viewed 5036 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - July 2012”