Colour cast question

This the forum board for the CM 101 class starting March 2013
imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Sun May 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Hello all,

A friend of mine put me on to an interesting site -- Airplane Pictures -- not necessarily a favored subject matter of mine, but some of the images under Photos, Most liked, Of the year, are stunning. I came across this one, which clearly has a pervasive blue cast. Which raised an interesting question. Wondering how folks respond to it -- if you were critiquing it, would you recommend removing the cast,  mitigating it, or do you like it, artistically, as is?

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/220086//

Cheers,
Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 am

Interesting Image.

My thoughts. 
Since the shadows are neutral and correct, the color cast is intentional and exaggerated.  It runs deep into the background and surrounding hills.  It is intended to make you think of twilight or early morning but I find it cold almost un-natural.  It appears to intend to reflect the twilight sky on the scene and I think it is over done. 

Should it be removed??  Well the client thought it was good enough to use...If I shot it I would probably base my decision on what I saw on the day I shot it.  Seeing as the image was shot with enough light to stop the jet plane I would guess that the scene was filtered with a cyan filter to get the colors you see.  I tried to remove the cast and the rest of the image really falls apart fast without it.

Since they got paid to publish it I guess it would have to stay...

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Greg,

Here's a photo taken at the same airport from almost the same vantage point. Blue cast in the background, but the plane is more brightly lit and seems to be more reddish-magenta.
Still thinking about these. (The first one has an eerie quality to it which I must admit reflects the way I feel about flying.)

In the second one, I'm wondering about the inclusion of the out-of-focus brightly lit vegetation in the right foreground. Not sure what it adds to the overall image.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/263129/ja010d-jal-japan-airlines-boeing-777-200/

Cheers,
Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 pm

I'd crop out the foreground plants and leave the lights...the overall image looks better and less Cyan...

Interesting perspective...
Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - March 2013”