Thread for all technical problems

This the forum board for the CM 101 class starting March 2013
imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi Greg,

see some of the videos by the time and found Arts hint about the picked and inverted color for removing a color cast.
I remember you told us about the photofilter for that. Don't really understand it.
Why not picking the existing color of the cast from somewhere in the picture?
I had a short try and found it works nice for a beginning.

It does work but....
If you choose the wrong spot for the color picker you will introduce a false color cast that is worse than the one you are trying to cure.  Not every picture will have a good place to select the color from.  It is a solid process and one you should try...it just may not always return the correct hue.

Absolutly! It could not be any point of the picture.
But what point is maybe a good one? I tried with something, which has to be more white.
Maybe this is the only option for this method and don't works, when there are no whites?

One more question about getting color neutral...
Told before from this little hdr-contest in a german forum. I worked on a picture with a horrible color cast by bringing the three pictures together and then try to correct the colors in cm, which was very complicated and don't bring a good result.
After this, I try to set a neutral in all rawfiles in cr and had a much better result with just one neutral to go on in cm.
It's a mirracle to me and not everytime the same. Some Tonemappings work better with a color correction after.
Do you have an idea why?

Tone mapping in HDR is really an interesting process if you use a HDR program some of them can really over saturate the image and any color cast is amplified.
I would not do any color correction on a HDR until I had the file out of the converter and flat into Photoshop.  If I use the raw converter and adjust the color of the image I would want to be sure I was not adding color cast to the frame.

Don't try it on the HDR, but on the sigle raw-files before I put them together.
In this special case, it was much easier to remove the most of the color cast and doing the rest in cm.
We have here in germany a growing group, who prefer to do most of corrections in the raw file, because of having all informations about the picture. The results mostly speak for itself.
I'm not that technical, but starts to think about lower information for correction and maybe borders of it.
Knew, there are another fraction too, who says, that there are no seeable difference.
Of course it is much more comfortable to do a color correction in cuvemeister, but in the told picture I failed totally with a lot of work in cm and have that nearly right colors with one klick in the raw.
Very confusing...

We also find out that different HDR-programms brings different colors as the result. Set a programm like that an own neutral point whithout asking maybe?
I tried the ps-own HDR-Pro and HDREfex for comparative. Last brings totally wrong colors. Black went to blue.

Each HDR converter adds color in their own way.  Each interprets the file data and predicts a result.  You might have to find one you like and stick with it.

Oh, okay. So I always have an interpretation of colors with every hdr-programm?
Even if I hit the right neutral in the raw, something other might be come out?
Wow, complicated!

By the way: My ppw-panel don't work very well. Don't get the helpful options most of the time and some actions don't wanna run mostly.
Do you have same problems?

I have had few issues with the PPW panel.  What version of Photoshop are you running?  It really likes CS5.5 or higher...

Hmm, have to think about an update. I have CS5.
New lenses are more important. So I have to do more manually, when the panel don't want to work.
Annoying. The options are great and quick.
But not bad to know, how it works manually..

Oh, by the way...
In this little hdr-contest, I told from, I don't had a ranking before this course.
By the time I came from third place after the first weeks of cm-course to second place and now the second time winner.
Speaks for itself, I think.

Greetings, Tanja

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm

But what point is maybe a good one? I tried with something, which has to be more white.
Maybe this is the only option for this method and don't works, when there are no whites?

It would have to be a white or a neutral area.  anything that should be a color would effect the overall color of the sample.

Don't try it on the HDR, but on the sigle raw-files before I put them together.
In this special case, it was much easier to remove the most of the color cast and doing the rest in cm.
We have here in germany a growing group, who prefer to do most of corrections in the raw file, because of having all informations about the picture. The results mostly speak for itself.
I'm not that technical, but starts to think about lower information for correction and maybe borders of it.
Knew, there are another fraction too, who says, that there are no seeable difference.

Of course it is much more comfortable to do a color correction in cuvemeister, but in the told picture I failed totally with a lot of work in cm and have that nearly right colors with one klick in the raw.
Very confusing...

Each method has it's own strengths and weaknesses.  The RAW converters out there are all still evolving and getting better.  ACR is an example.  It used to just be a simple tool and now it is becoming a major part of the workflow.

Wow, complicated!

I think it is one of the reasons you see so many bad HDR's out there people struggle with the tools and have not been too successful.

New lenses are more important. So I have to do more manually, when the panel don't want to work.

I think it's more important that you know what it does so you can avoid things you do not want in the images you work on...

Oh, by the way...
In this little hdr-contest, I told from, I don't had a ranking before this course.
By the time I came from third place after the first weeks of cm-course to second place and now the second time winner.

Greetings, Tanja

More than volumes...
If what you are now doing is more appealing than what you were doing then you have succeeded in your goal...You Learned something...

Greg

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Wed May 15, 2013 9:05 pm

It would have to be a white or a neutral area.  anything that should be a color would effect the overall color of the sample.

Jep!

Each method has it's own strengths and weaknesses.  The RAW converters out there are all still evolving and getting better.  ACR is an example.  It used to just be a simple tool and now it is becoming a major part of the workflow.

Yes, I have LR since a while, which is I think the same like ACR in CS6. I knew people, who do all in there. One of this guys comes from cm and he's the reason why I am here.

Wow, complicated!

I think it is one of the reasons you see so many bad HDR's out there people struggle with the tools and have not been too successful.

Hmm, because I'm coming from this overdone tonemappings - in germany it's calles "Augenkrebs"  ;) - I think, there are first other reasons  ;D. But don't see that now very often. People maybe get bored of the surreal effect. Here it comes little bit more to "realness", I think.
Or maybe I see the better picture...

I think it's more important that you know what it does so you can avoid things you do not want in the images you work on...

Definetly. But in the cases, where I know, what it does, it were very comfortable to have the option and special the preview.
Using a false profile is one click in the panel and lot more manualy. But good to know, which ways are to go. If I use the panel only for that, I surly forget, how to use it in different ways  ;)
But I'm very happy, that the sharpening works! 130 steps, I read  ;D

Oh, by the way...

Greetings, Tanja

More than volumes...
If what you are now doing is more appealing than what you were doing then you have succeeded in your goal...You Learned something...

Greg

"Something" is good  ;D A lot!
Thanks again for this weeks, Greg! Changes not only my workflow. There's a lot happening in this weeks. Glad now, to go back to my own pictures, but I will surly miss the work, reading and writing here. Hope we all come together again for cm 201.

Greetings, Tanja

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 pm

I will miss the time together as well.  You might want to look at the "Enfused" program that Chris Broadhearst introduced me to for HDR work. I showed the interface during one of our calls...

http://enblend.sourceforge.net/

Just a thought.
Greg

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks, Greg!
Had a notice here about the program and totally forget it.
Now it's downloaded and maybe I try before going to bed.

Greetings, Tanja

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - March 2013”