Thread for all technical problems

This the forum board for the CM 101 class starting March 2013
imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Fri May 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Dan,

dont had the time for the last exercise.
Maybe now before the call... But I can build in PS, so maybe not that big need...

Greetings, Tanja

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Fri May 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Okay,  and what does one do with CM's blur setting?  Anyway, thanks all for answering some of my previous questions.

dan

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Dan,

don't understand the question, I think.
You mean the blur-slider? It's for blurring the mask, like in your contrast mask.
It's a gaußschen blur.

Greetings, Tanja

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Fri May 10, 2013 6:25 pm

thanks.  but how is it to be used in the last exercise?

dan

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Fri May 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Same like with the contrast mask, I think.
Do you try with the B mask, curves for overexposed from the library and then use the blur slider?

Greetings, Tanja

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Here's the link to the home page for MPCW.

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/

Under "Resources" there's a drop down menu. Select "Private Resources" which will open an online form. Fill it in, click send, and you should receive an email with a link to the unlocked videos (although the text says these resources are for purchasers of the book, it's wonderful that they're sharing them to all who request).  I don't know if this is an automated function, so you may not receive a response until Monday.

Here's the thread  on the community blog that links to a video in German:

http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php/topic,3605.0.html

Best to all,

Art

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Fri May 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Art,

thanks for the links!
Email with the acess should come in a few minutes is written.

Oh, the german video is from Jonas.
He do great tutorials. See them all, I think.
There are some in english too. And you would find a theme there too, which we discuss.
Let's suprise you ;-)

Link is there! So something to watch for my late dinner!

Greetings, Tanja

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Fri May 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Great that the MPCW link worked. 

Enjoy your late dinner with DM!

Cheers,
Art

P.S. I think I like surprises.

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Tue May 14, 2013 12:19 am

Hi Greg,

see some of the videos by the time and found Arts hint about the picked and inverted color for removing a color cast.
I remember you told us about the photofilter for that. Don't really understand it.
Why not picking the existing color of the cast from somewhere in the picture?
I had a short try and found it works nice for a beginning.

One more question about getting color neutral...
Told before from this little hdr-contest in a german forum. I worked on a picture with a horrible color cast by bringing the three pictures together and then try to correct the colors in cm, which was very complicated and don't bring a good result.
After this, I try to set a neutral in all rawfiles in cr and had a much better result with just one neutral to go on in cm.
It's a mirracle to me and not everytime the same. Some Tonemappings work better with a color correction after.
Do you have an idea why?

We also find out that different HDR-programms brings different colors as the result. Set a programm like that an own neutral point whithout asking maybe?
I tried the ps-own HDR-Pro and HDREfex for comparative. Last brings totally wrong colors. Black went to blue.

By the way: My ppw-panel don't work very well. Don't get the helpful options most of the time and some actions don't wanna run mostly.
Do you have same problems?

Greetings, Tanja

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue May 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Greg,

see some of the videos by the time and found Arts hint about the picked and inverted color for removing a color cast.
I remember you told us about the photofilter for that. Don't really understand it.
Why not picking the existing color of the cast from somewhere in the picture?
I had a short try and found it works nice for a beginning.

It does work but....
If you choose the wrong spot for the color picker you will introduce a false color cast that is worse than the one you are trying to cure.  Not every picture will have a good place to select the color from.  It is a solid process and one you should try...it just may not always return the correct hue.

One more question about getting color neutral...
Told before from this little hdr-contest in a german forum. I worked on a picture with a horrible color cast by bringing the three pictures together and then try to correct the colors in cm, which was very complicated and don't bring a good result.
After this, I try to set a neutral in all rawfiles in cr and had a much better result with just one neutral to go on in cm.
It's a mirracle to me and not everytime the same. Some Tonemappings work better with a color correction after.
Do you have an idea why?

Tone mapping in HDR is really an interesting process if you use a HDR program some of them can really over saturate the image and any color cast is amplified.
I would not do any color correction on a HDR until I had the file out of the converter and flat into Photoshop.  If I use the raw converter and adjust the color of the image I would want to be sure I was not adding color cast to the frame.

We also find out that different HDR-programms brings different colors as the result. Set a programm like that an own neutral point whithout asking maybe?
I tried the ps-own HDR-Pro and HDREfex for comparative. Last brings totally wrong colors. Black went to blue.

Each HDR converter adds color in their own way.  Each interprets the file data and predicts a result.  You might have to find one you like and stick with it.

By the way: My ppw-panel don't work very well. Don't get the helpful options most of the time and some actions don't wanna run mostly.
Do you have same problems?

I have had few issues with the PPW panel.  What version of Photoshop are you running?  It really likes CS5.5 or higher...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - March 2013”