Posting Confusion.

This the forum board for the CM 101 class starting March 2013
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:42 am

Everyone,

I am tracking so far what you are doing...but...PLEASE Start a new topic for each image.  For instance if you post the duck start your own "Duck" thread. 
That way my responses and your comments are related to only the original image in the thread.

It makes it easier 4 months from now when you come back and want to remember what the heck happened here...

Not mad at all by the way...just concerned about confusion.
Greg

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Greg:
I used only the RGB to open the shadows in this version of the merry-go-round.  I do not like it.  It is desaturated.  But if you put a hue clock on the woman's face, the color is better than when I first tried to fiddle with it.  I put a hue clock on the woman's forehead.  Also, the face is not that saturated.  The photo overall looks bland to me.

I have some questions.  1) how do i send a picture to you without it being part of an already ongoing discussion.  I did not want to post this with the Monterrey pictures.  2)I am having a problem moving the photo in the CM editor over to the left. My photo is always in the center.  Can't I move it? My color space grid and curve always covers the photo. 3) How do i get the large RGB master grid to appear?  Its appearance is random.  A lot of time it is the smaller version, along with smaller r, g, b curves which all show up at once in the same frame.

dan
Attachments
2007-02-12_122115-x23image-jpg
2007-02-12_122115-x23image-jpg (218.58 KiB) Viewed 9917 times

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Greg:

I mean I need to get the LARGE rgb master.

dan

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Dan,

mabe I can help in one point:

1 is finding on top and botton of each side and brings you to the "overview".
2 is for make a new topic
3 is your folder for the horses

Hope it helps a little bit!

Greetings, Tanja
Attachments
overview-jpg
overview-jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 9917 times

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Tanja:

thanks for the post.  I see where i went wrong. I'm still having resizing problems.  I tried to post twice, and I get errors.

I'll have to work out the bugs on my end.

dan

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi Dan,

what is your problem with the resize? Mabe I can help, but I think Art is better for this, because using elements too.
We, Art and me, talking about an own topic for those technical questions, where we can help each other.
What do you think about that?

Not really understand which means that you try to post twice.
Two pictures in one post? Mabe one of them were over 315kb?

Greetings, Tanja

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 am

Tanja:

I think it would be good to have a technical issues area where we could help each other.  Good idea.

I think the resizing error is my mistake.  I tried to post the same picture twice.

Also, did you read the second week assignment where it said that negative refers to 'cool colors?'  What did that mean?  I also read that in 'Lab' 'bright' colors were associated with higher values and yellow, cyan and magenta had higher values than red, green and blue.  I'm going to post another picture later of the merry go round where I put a hue clock on the woman's face and used lab to reduce yellow. 

It seems if you  use RGB to work on colors and contrast simultaneously one must use lab to boost saturation a bit and control for saturation in areas one does not want. 

However, I could just isolate the woman's face in photoshop on a separate layer, desaturate yellow, and leave the other part of the merry-go-round in glorious abundant saturated colors. 

I like HSB because of the vibrant colors.  I don't think every pictures has to be 'real.'  Why do photographs always have to look 'real?'  Does that mean artistic renditions using lots of color is 'verboten?'

Dan

dan

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am

Tanja:

I think it would be good to have a technical issues area where we could help each other.  Good idea.

I think the resizing error is my mistake.  I tried to post the same picture twice.

Also, did you read the second week assignment where it said that negative refers to 'cool colors?'  What did that mean?  I also read that in 'Lab' 'bright' colors were associated with higher values and yellow, cyan and magenta had higher values than red, green and blue.  I'm going to post another picture later of the merry go round where I put a hue clock on the woman's face and used lab to reduce yellow. 

Warm colors are the reds yellows and magenta's of the color wheel Cool colors are the blues, greens and cyan's its more about feeling and relating negative numbers to cold temperatures.

It seems if you  use RGB to work on colors and contrast simultaneously one must use lab to boost saturation a bit and control for saturation in areas one does not want. 

RGB can handle saturation but you have to be careful.  the changes in any RGB curve create color shifts that you have been working to get rid of.  Lab is faster and easier for saturation because color and tone are on separate channels.  You can use the saturation channel as you mention below its just not as fast and intuitive.

However, I could just isolate the woman's face in photoshop on a separate layer, desaturate yellow, and leave the other part of the merry-go-round in glorious abundant saturated colors. 

I like HSB because of the vibrant colors.  I don't think every pictures has to be 'real.'  Why do photographs always have to look 'real?'  Does that mean artistic renditions using lots of color is 'verboten?'

Dan

Not forbidden just carefully applied.  Vibrant color is the world around us...Fake color is the "oh that's Photoshopped" zone.  We are looking to find a balance between the two.  Using the tool to create vibrant color that looks real and adds to the image rather than becoming the main thing people see and therefore a distraction.  Vibrant color is an artistic choice and is a great compositional tool used correctly.

Greg

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Dan,

think, Greg answerd all questions.

There is many to think and write about "why natural?"
There are some people, who think about my pictures, that they are no photographs.
And this is maybe correct. It's not shown the reality.
But no picture in a magazin do that. Most are "tuned" in ps.

One of my favorit painter, Franz Marc, was forbidden in germanys sadest period and his pictures are called "entartete Kunst".
Same thing. He was far away from natural and uses colors the things don't have in real. Blue, yellow and red horses or cows for example.

It depends a lot of taste, time and culture, what is nice for the most and what not.
But nobody can tell you what has to be nice to you. That's own taste and mabe changes by the time. Or not.
And sometimes changes very quickly... Happens often that I work on a picture, like it, but open it next day and ask myself what the hell I was doing there  ;D.

It's a good thing to try around, play with colors and mabe styles, doing totally stupid things without no borders, to find an own style. But it's also good to know and discipline work, learning the basics by "how something looks natural".
I had my problems with Picasso and thought this is no art, because nearly everybody ist able to do that (what also is'nt right).
But then I saw some very early paintings and recognize that he really was a very good painter.
Question is, why he don't use that  ;D ;D ;D Just kidding...

Greetings, Tanja

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Tanja and Greg:

There is a lot of truth in what Greg said.  Whether something is in the 'photoshop' zone or not...?  All I know is that colors have an emotional 'feeling-tone' in them.  I guess a balance has to be struck.  It seems that photography got a bad rap when someone decided that 'if you want it real, take a picture.'  In those days painters were given a hard time for not being 'realistic.'  I think it was the impressionists who said something to the effect, 'take a picture' if you want real, we do art.' 

Why should a photographer care whether it was 'photoshopped?'  So its not 'real?'  What's real?  I went to a photographic exhibit in a local museum, some of those photos were quite unreal.  They showed some Andy Warhol Polaroids. Definitely not 'photoshopped.'  If it wasn't Andy Warhol, you'd think the person just didn't feel like spending money on better equipment.

The photos were scratchy, some were out of focus and just plain 'weird.'  But I thought they were great.

Anyway, in the following picture I used 4 layers. It was an assignment from week 2.  The first was RGB. That is what I posted first.  I think the RGB did a good job taking the yellow out of the skin tone of the woman's face.  But the photo is too desaturated.  No 'feeling-tone' whatsoever.  To me this picture is like going back to a child's experience of a carrousel.  That little kid in the photo is really having a good time.  I think from her point of view, the movement and colors must be very impressive.  If I could I would like to make the colors very bright and smear them the way a child might see them on a carrousel ride.  Motion and color all mixed up.

Anyway, the second and third layers were dedicated to trying to BOTH desaturate and saturate.  Saturate the colors of the carrousel more, desaturate the woman and child's faces.  Hard to do.  In the process I lost some of the detail in the horses neck.  But I gained more saturated colors which i like.  I used curves in RGB and just eased back on the yellow in lab, no curves.

Dan
Attachments
2007-02-12_122115-x77image-jpg
2007-02-12_122115-x77image-jpg (236.43 KiB) Viewed 9917 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - March 2013”