duck

This the forum board for the CM 101 class starting March 2013
Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Art:

actually i meant that the top of the clock was cooler and the bottom of the clock was hotter (top is "north" bottom is "south").

dan

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Dan,

I see your bigger picture now.
The correct processing, as I have understood greg, seems to be going in a different direction.
But obviously we all prefer a more neutral duck. Class revolt  ;D
Okay, he has created the image and know the light conditions. Nevertheless overruled.
Sorry Greg!  ;)

I like your colors and think it's brave to go so far with the highlights.
Just read something from Dan Margulis about that. It's an decision.
But also means that you lose details.
Sometimes you have to sacrifice something to get something else. The question is how much you are willing to sacrifice.

The ducks belly is now so pure white. I personally would like to see more details there.

Greetings, Tanja

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Art, hope my adress arrives you...

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes, thanks Tanja, just replied.

Art

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I will read Dan Marguilis.  Do you happen to have the reference?  Thanks for the critique.  commentary on pure white is noted.

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Dan,

I think the clock is the traditional colour circle -- the visual spectrum, which is linear, arranged in a circle placing magenta next to red even though magenta and red are at opposite ends of the actual spectrum (arrayed by wavelenght). 

Not sure about hotter and cooler colours; as you say, cyan can look "hot". A lot depends on context I guess (in Miami, every colour can look hot!). I think it's arbitrary which colour is in the 12 o'clock position.

Was the image that you posted done in LAB or RGB or a combination of the two?

Cheers,
Art

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi Dan,

the tip to read Mr. Magulis, was the best I ever get.
Comes from a good friend and sometimes I wan't to kill him for that  ;D
How Dan himself describe his lessons: "This is not a beginner friendly course. This is not an advanced friendly course. This it not a friendly course at all." (But of course in better english  :D).
Hope you love him, like I do.
After more than one year, I don't understand the most of this stuff in his books. But I don't give up!

I can't translate your questions about the reference. My bad english.
You mean a book from him?
Don't know the english titles. Somebody has to help me out for that.

Greetings, Tanja

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am

No worries Tanya, yes I meant a book or article by him.  I'll look for a book by him on line.  The comments about Mr. Margoulis' (correct spelling?) courses were very amusing.  I laughed hard. 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am

Art

I was able to see the entire video.  Anyway, it was a bit complicated.  Did you see how the dial hands would disappear when the greens were zeroed out.  I had no idea that the size of the dial was determined by the strength of the signal.  I posted a rather long message to Greg about the video.  After watching it a few times I started to see what it was about, I think.  I still wonder about why certain colors are where they are on the clock.  I went to Miami once, and there were a lot of hot "Latin" colors around, magenta, yellow, cyan.  So in my way of thinking, the top of the hue clock is "hot" and the bottom of the hue clock is "cooler," blue, red and green.

Anyway, I've been having a lot of posting problems.  I first picked up the wrong duck from the zip file.  It was too small.  Then I figured out i needed the large file because the smaller duck image really looked bad no matter what i did to it.  So I operated on the large file again.

I had two layers, the first in rgb and the second in lab.  I didn't like the colors in lab for the first try, so i did rgb.  I placed hue clocks for the  3 'styles' highlights, shadows, mid tones. I used the threshold method on the vertical rgb.  I set a neutral point and went "neutral shopping" within the grey band on the duck's leg.  I applied the CM changes.  the pix was too dark so I used the screen.  Then I went into lab and did the same thing again with the lightness curve, only i added some contrast points so that i could twist the lightness curve to improve the contrast.  I went into the a channel to improve the reds.

Dan

Dan,

The color is hard to judge because the highlights are blown out. 
There is significant detail in the breast feathers of the duck. 
My screen shot shows the highlight threshold for your posted image.

As to the Hue clock.  the length of the hand is a measure of the saturation of the hue under the sample.  The longer the hand the more saturated the color.  You can have a visually neutral color with a few points of error. 

Greg
Attachments
greg02-jpg-6
greg02-jpg-6 (88.92 KiB) Viewed 9021 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:26 am

Hi Dan,

I see your bigger picture now.
The correct processing, as I have understood greg, seems to be going in a different direction.
But obviously we all prefer a more neutral duck. Class revolt  ;D
Okay, he has created the image and know the light conditions. Nevertheless overruled.
Sorry Greg!  ;)

I like your colors and think it's brave to go so far with the highlights.
Just read something from Dan Margulis about that. It's an decision.
But also means that you lose details.
Sometimes you have to sacrifice something to get something else. The question is how much you are willing to sacrifice.

The ducks belly is now so pure white. I personally would like to see more details there.

Greetings, Tanja

Class revolt...nonsense.  I want you to think and explore. 

Your choices are what matters here.  If you can justify the choices I can see a reasonable argument to accept the image.  Is there a right and wrong??  Sure, but the boundaries are loose and open for interpretation.  For instance I thought you did a much better correction on the Car than I did.  I am intrigued by what you did and I hope you will take the time to show us all more.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - March 2013”