duck

This the forum board for the CM 101 class starting March 2013
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 pm

Happy easter everybody!
Here is my new one with a mask (now from ps).
Little bit to magenta now, I think.

Oddly, Almost the exact same correction fixed this image as well.  Try applying the same ACV curve to this image.

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 am

Hi Tanja,

Oh yes, it's just about ready to hatch.

Cheers,
Art

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 am

Hi Greg,

oups, lot of confusion!
Got your curves on my picture now, but looks much more yellow than yours in cm lab-mode.
I change to rgb and there it looks the same than yours.
The setting hue clock says the same. Changes from yellow cast to neutral by changing the color modes.
What is this? Never had that before.

Cyan also confuse me. Did I have to check the colors in all color modes?

Greetings, Tanja

Hi Art,

oh, great. I am sooo curious about your "birds"!

Have a good night and sleep well!
Oh, wait...always thinking you are from England. Don't know why. Is it right?

Greetings too ;-)

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 am

Hi Tanja,

Yes, I live in England (although from the US).

Up late tonight -- but must get enough sleep to have the energy to upload photos to Flickr tomorrow.

You're a night person also I see.

Sleep well too. (count ducks to get drowsy)(on second thought, maybe not such a good idea )(you could always use a (sleeping) mask!)

Cheers,
Art

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:07 am

Hi Art,

the weather seems to have a big influence  ;)
You have that english spirit.

Oh, yes! Absolutly night person. Since my childhood. Trying a lot, but not changable.
We are indeed remarkably similar. I'm curious to see what opens up next ;-)

I start to dream in english. Tonight surly from masked ducks.
Sleeping masked dugs :-D

But now to go to bed soon, so everything goes well tomorrow with the pictures!

Greetings, Tanja

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Tanja,

Sleep must have been restorative, because I've actually managed to upload some of my photos -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/93031550@N08/
(Click twice on the thumbnails to get to the black background. Since I seem to have a predilection for dim scenes (I'm particularly interested in cathedral architecture) the photos benefit from that rather than bright white -- and they need all the help they can get). We seem to have a lot in common except that you're a very good photographer, and I'm, well you'll see.

Cheers,
Art

imported_Tanja

Postby imported_Tanja » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi Art,

wow! I have already told you that I would definitely love your pictures.
And so it is.
With the goose bumps I have not anticipated. The dark room in the Cathedral with the bright window is amazing. My absolute favorite picture.
I have it not in words, what's in there and it's exactly what makes a great picture.
I really, really love it! So wonderful! Don't change anything on it.

The second big goose bumps (hope google translator translate it right, what I mean) was the "ghost" image.
How can I describe it? What always been most interested and impressive for me, is real experience, in terms of experience of Processed.
(Oh, this is interesting... There are no different words in English, to discribe, what I mean. In english there is only one word for two totally different german words).
A very rare thing and for me it is the greatest ever. You get the gift to bring it in a pictures.
And hope you know, what I mean. "Leaving a subjective view", maybe describes it better.

If I were not an old married woman almost, I would now make a marriage proposal to you, after I saw your pictures.
More!  ;)

Greetings, Tanja

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 am

Hi Tanja,

I'm overwhelmed by your response, which is especially meaningful for many reasons, including the fact that you are such a wonderful, accomplished photographer, both aesthetically and technically.
Your two favorites are also two of mine. I'm haven't shared my photos very much, and I'm really moved by what you have to say.
It's such a good feeling that you saw what I was seeing,  that I was able to share my "subjective view", as you say, with you. I guess now I have to raise the ceiling!
I find myself in the unusual position of being at a loss for words --
I'll just finish by saying that if I were not almost an old married man I'd definitely accept your proposal!  ;)

Cheers,
Art

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Greg:

I used the RGB color space, using the suggested neutral, shadow, and hilight points.  What I did is use the RGB threshold vertical on the master RGB curve.  I then placed hue clocks (alt click) at the designated spots for highlights, midtones and shadows. Then I set the neutral point and moved it around within the grey band on the duck's leg.  I applied the changes and used screen because I felt it was too dark.  I felt i could improve the contrast and color, so i opened up contrast points on the lightness curve in Lab.  In the a channel I bent the curve slightly.  I applied a high pass filter to the layer.  The layer was viewed in screen mode also

Daniel Zuck

Postby Daniel Zuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Art

I was able to see the entire video.  Anyway, it was a bit complicated.  Did you see how the dial hands would disappear when the greens were zeroed out.  I had no idea that the size of the dial was determined by the strength of the signal.  I posted a rather long message to Greg about the video.  After watching it a few times I started to see what it was about, I think.  I still wonder about why certain colors are where they are on the clock.  I went to Miami once, and there were a lot of hot "Latin" colors around, magenta, yellow, cyan.  So in my way of thinking, the top of the hue clock is "hot" and the bottom of the hue clock is "cooler," blue, red and green.

Anyway, I've been having a lot of posting problems.  I first picked up the wrong duck from the zip file.  It was too small.  Then I figured out i needed the large file because the smaller duck image really looked bad no matter what i did to it.  So I operated on the large file again.

I had two layers, the first in rgb and the second in lab.  I didn't like the colors in lab for the first try, so i did rgb.  I placed hue clocks for the  3 'styles' highlights, shadows, mid tones. I used the threshold method on the vertical rgb.  I set a neutral point and went "neutral shopping" within the grey band on the duck's leg.  I applied the CM changes.  the pix was too dark so I used the screen.  Then I went into lab and did the same thing again with the lightness curve, only i added some contrast points so that i could twist the lightness curve to improve the contrast.  I went into the a channel to improve the reds.

Dan
Attachments
duck3xx4-jpg-2
duck3xx4-jpg-2 (222.78 KiB) Viewed 9350 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - March 2013”