Paradise revisited

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Art,
Did you do an over the top version?  I'm just curious...
I have not done my correction of this yet and I would go even further unless it breaks down on saturation...

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Greg.

I did generate a few I considered to be over the top, but didn't save them.  I've reconstructed them, attached (actually tree6 is not looking too bad!)

Thanks,
Art
Attachments
cm_tropical_tree6-jpg
cm_tropical_tree6-jpg (269.71 KiB) Viewed 12471 times
cm_tropical_tree5-jpg
cm_tropical_tree5-jpg (280.18 KiB) Viewed 12471 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Try this Art...
#4 is on the left...#6 on the right....

I like 6 better right now.  Better variation in the colors.

Greg
Attachments
art_compare-jpg
art_compare-jpg (304.28 KiB) Viewed 12471 times

tmanley

Postby tmanley » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks, Greg.  I used LAB.  I'm studying Dan Margulis' books and trying to learn to use that color space.
Is there any recommended order to view the YouTube videos?  I jumped right in and couldn't understand the ones I viewed.  I need something very, very basic!

Tina

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Tina,
The LAB space is different...but once you get it it is very fast and flexible and colorful. 

There are limits and we will get into that in the class. 

We cover the heck out of LAB.  I know you want to go into it fast but let's get the ground work done first.  LAB is a part of almost everything we do after the 1st week...

Do you have a specific question or is this a I wanna know LAB thing?

Greg

tmanley

Postby tmanley » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

No.  I want to learn Curvemeister  :)  I don't know where to start, for example, on the variegated leaves that you posted.  So far, I've just played with the Wizard.  Is there a very basic YouTube video that would explain it step by step?

Thanks,

Tina

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful.

Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 pm

hmmm...not from us...
This is the reason behind the 101 class.  The Pool is kinda deep the first few times you dive in...once you turn off the wizard you will get a much better handle on the whole LAB space.  By the end of week one you will be there...this is like week 0 in that the assigned reading and sample images are not out for you yet.  Think of this as the appetizer!

This whole thing starts with the basic process from the wizard.  Set the shadow, highlight and neutral keeping "significant" details in mind and then if there is a natural neutral set it...

Keep in mind that for LAB you can only have 1 neutral point.  It is not based on luminosity.  In RGB color and brightness are tied together...In LAB they are not.  Color only has a single neutral 0A and 0B.  Every other point on the curve has color.

When you set a neutral in LAB you are telling CM to move the colors to that set point and make your selection neutral.  This selection can depend on sample size, actual neutrality or perceived neutrality.  Once you have set a neutral you can drag the point around a bit...to see if you have the color set right. 

Christmas is coming soon...don't worry....
Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful.

Art

This is from a butterfly action that Lee wrote.  I can see if he'll post it.  I like the tool for close comparisons. 
Lee??

Greg

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”