Open for your interpretation

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Here's a sugestion.GregM
I  used three dots to anchor the yellow part of the curve.
Attachments
blue-sky-jpg
blue-sky-jpg (249.17 KiB) Viewed 6882 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Greg M is correct and you can go further...

Shot1 is the LAB curves applied to your posted image.  I am also posting a .ACV file.  This file can be loaded by Curvemeister so you can see exactly what was done.  Save the ACV file to your desktop and open your posted image in CM.  Switch to LAB mode in CM and click the "load" button. 

Examine the B channel and notice that I kept the hoar frost neutral by moving the pint closest to the center of the curve until A and B were zero.  Then I bent the curve as shown.

Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-32
screenshot001-jpg-32 (178.04 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
20101210_gjg_0027_cmgg-jpg
20101210_gjg_0027_cmgg-jpg (293.8 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
20101210_gjg_0027_cm-lab-acv
(78 Bytes) Downloaded 310 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:01 pm

For me this is a typical B&W image. But I have no idea how to use CM for B&W. This conversion was done in Bibble with Andrea plugin. ok it is a bit special and blacks are blown but...
Regards
ThomasD

In CM there are a few ways to go Black and white...The fastest is in LAB.  Rotate the curves to be horizontal and adjust the L channel for contrast.
Greg
Attachments
screenshot002-jpg-25
screenshot002-jpg-25 (185.81 KiB) Viewed 6882 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Hello

I am posting two versions of the branches in the sky image.  I used levels and curves.  I  used both in RGB mode.  It is my understanding that you can perform the same corrections in CM that you do in levels but I am not sure how to use Curves or CM in this manner.  Even my Photoshop Curves adjustment uses auto as a starting point.  I am relatively new to curves and hope this class will answer most of my questions.

Please post any suggestions.

Thank you
David Krassen

David,
Curves will soon replace the levels command for you.  In levels you have 3 points you can adjust.  The shadow, the highlight and the "mid-tone range" adjusted as a single point.  It would be the same adjustment as a curve with three points.  You would be limited to only 1 mid-tone adjustment point; and as you might have noticed just in this thread the multiple mid-tones adjustments are very important.

Don't worry about being new to curves..that make this all the better... because you will not be fighting your existing knowledge base as we go forward.  Some people have to unlearn some things before they can get into this stuff..

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi,

Starting in RGB, I placed a highlight on the snow on one of the branches. I then dragged the bottom of the RGB curve to increase the contrast. After saving it, I reopened the edited image in LAB to increase the saturation.

Richard

Nicely done by the way...
Greg

dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Greg

I downloaded the ACV file and loaded it into CM under LAB mode, however, it did not get as blue as the image you posted.  Do I need to perform anything else besides loading the ACV file?  It definitely makes the sky bluer, just not as blue as the image you posted. 

I am still trying to understand the details of LAB mode.  I have done some reading including Dan Margulis' Professional Photoshop 5th Edition.  I have just started this book and will have to re-read what little I read.  This appears to be a great reference book but a slow read.  Once I digest this book, I plan on getting his second book, Photoshop LAB Color.

What points do you set in LAB mode and what do they mean?

I look forward to learning the details of CM with the starting of Week 2 of the CM 101 Class on Sunday, tomorrow. 

Thank you
David Krassen

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:00 am

David,
LAB is a different Animal...We will cover it quite a lot in the course. 

If the colors are not close; I wonder what color profile you are using. 
I use the "save for web" process in PS and leave the setting on Monitor Color. 

It might just be a difference in hardware...
Greg

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”