Hungry??

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:03 am

dk,
This is an image that will be giving everyone a tough time because the shadows are really way off. 
Another issue is the lack of a solid neutral tone.  These combine to make this an interesting challenge but not one we cannot overcome...

From your posted image I have taken a screen shot.  I added some hue clocks to the frame so we can see what is going on. 
In the first image you have tackled the majority of the brightness issue but there is more..Looking at the hue clocks the image is too yellow.  In RGB you need to adjust the blue channel to fix yellow casts.  This is beyond the Color Wizard because there is no neutral to help you get rid of the cast.

In shot 2 you can see the blue curve I created to reduce the yellow in the berries and in the whitest part of the strawberries.
If you want to play a bit with the lighting this image can really benefit from a exposure adjustment in Photoshop.

Open the image before you go to Curvemeister and choose image>adjustment>exposure.  Set the Gamma to 2.25 or greater.  Then go into CM and see if there is more to work with.

More to Come
Greg

Attachments
screenshot003-jpg-13
screenshot003-jpg-13 (50.65 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
screenshot004-jpg-9
screenshot004-jpg-9 (168.93 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 am

Tonee,

Photoshop can be very heavy handed when it comes to shadows and highlights.  the result can look like a solarized print in some ways. We can do that in CM as well but we get some help from the program as we go so we recognize it and work to prevent it.

As you can see from your screen shot you might need to turn down the yellow a bit just like DK..

Instead of Shadow Highlight try image>adjustments>exposure and set the gamma to be 2.25 or greater...

Greg
Attachments
screenshot005-jpg-8
screenshot005-jpg-8 (74.75 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 am

Here is the image with an exposure adjustment....
This is a case where curves alone cannot recover the information in the image.
I used RGB to kill off some of the yellow after I opened the shadows using Gamma.

There will be more...

Greg

Attachments
screenshot006-jpg-10
screenshot006-jpg-10 (68.68 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
screenshot007-jpg-7
screenshot007-jpg-7 (112.52 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Greg.....I would like to see your final image in the beginning as to know what we are shooting at. Right now it's just a shot in the dark especially not know what is possible.
Tony

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 pm

I'd love to post it that way but past experience has shown that If I post a final version others will not take up the challenge.
I will be posting a final today...Another image awaits us...this one I promise will be a bit more achievable...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Why don't we start with easy images! - as (always) this is something that seems simple but is not

I started with lightening the shadows - I use a Dan action as I'm still running PS7 - but I think the S/H filter would achieve the same results.

I then used CM in rgb mode to attempt a colour correction - all at the shadow end
Then another pass of CM in Lab to up the colour a touch
The result did not have enough sparkle in the blackberries, so I applied 25pixels of Local contrast - now I could eat it!
Nice one Greg
Zog
Attachments
fruit-salad1zog-jpg
fruit-salad1zog-jpg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Hungry? Aways ;)

I started off by trying to brighten up the fruit bowl. I opened the image up in CurveMeister and then went hunting for a mask that I could use (to get at the bowl without harming the pineapple); I decided upon a K channel mask, which I copied onto the clipboard (using a technique mentioned later in the course).

I returned to Photoshop, and used CS5's improved 'Refine Mask' function to clean up the mask (which I have attached). To brighten the bowl I did the following (in Photoshop):

• A Screen mode self-blend (copy the 'Background' layer, and set the blend mode of that layer to 'Screen') - through the' Bowl Shadow' mask that I had created.

• Flattening this (into a new layer), I then applied a Shadow/Highlights adjustment; setting the Shadow options to: 35/13/34 (Highlights were set to 0%; Color Correction was set to +10) - again, through a mask.

• Finally, an 'Exposure' Adjustment - through the mask - with the Gamma Correction set to 1.15.

Next, I lightened the table using a different mask (attached to this post). To brighten the table I simply did step 1 (above) twice - two Screen mode self-blends.

Happy with the brightness (more-or-less), I took the image back into CurveMeister to fix the color cast. I didn't feel happy that there were any neutrals that I could use (I didn't trust the inside of the strawberries), but I remembered that the 'Nature' color pin library contained a pin for 'Pine', so I decided to try the pin. I turns out that there are two pins - one for varnished pine, and one for unvarnished pine; the unvarnished pin seemed better so I used that (but in RGB mode rather than Lab, which I thought looked nicer).

I was on the verge of posting my version when I read Greg reminding us that Blueberries are supposed to be blue; back to CurveMeister one last time! A tweak to the RGB curves got my blueberries to a more respectable hue...

A nice challenge image Greg (though it's making me hungry!)

Cheers,
Lee.
Attachments
fruit-salad_lh-jpg
fruit-salad_lh-jpg (251.9 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
bowl_shadows-jpg
bowl_shadows-jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
table-jpg
table-jpg (19.11 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:53 am

As Zog Pointed out this is a tough image but not impossible...
Things we need to know...

• How to correct the color without a neutral using Hue Clocks and CM

• How to create a mask in CM

• How to adjust the "color contrast" using CM

• How to Work in LAB using CM

• How to create layers

• Sharpen and Blur

I'll step this out as much as I think I need to but please ask questions
1) Copy background and open Curvemeister.

• using CM create a red layer mask and apply it to the background copy.  In CM we can open the channels and create masks something we will be learning later in the class.

• Gaussian Blur the mask to 70

• On the image part of the layer choose Image>Adjustments>Exposure; and set the gamma to 2.0 This will open the shadows of the image except where the mask is preventing the adjustment

• Flatten the image

2) Create a new layer copy and open CM on the Green channel only.

• Adjust the green channel for the details in the yellow areas of the image. Try to get as much detail into the pineapple as possible. Apply your changes and exit Curvemeister

• Copy the Green channel into the Blue Channel on the layer copy only Use Image > Apply Image; on the blue channel and apply the Green you just adjusted into the blue channel.  This gets rid of some noise and opens the image further in the shadows.

• Change the layer mode to "Luminosity"

• Flatten the image

3) Create a new layer copy and open CM in RGB mode.

• Shot 1 is the image before color correction in CM

• Shot 2 is the Blue channel adjustment to the image to get rid of the yellow cast and make the strawberry pink in the center.

• Apply the changes in CM and set the layer mode to color.

• Flatten the image...Again...

4) Create another new layer open CM and switch to LAB this time we are going to go after color range and saturation,  We have the color corrected so we do not want to mess that up.

• Set a hue clock on the strawberry as shown in shot 3.  This will be your color goal. Your "Home Base" as we adjust the color with LAB we want the A and the B channel values to stay as shown

• Create a contrast Pin on the Blackberry so that you get a decent range in the B channel. We want to add color separation in the berries to give them more shape.

• Adjust the B channel contrast pin so the B channel looks as shown in Shot 3 then move the contrast pins together so tha the B channel value is still 4

• Adjust the A channel slightly to make the reds look better overall and then move the A channel pins together so that the A channel vlaue stays at 10

• Adjust the L channel slightly to open the image to taste and apply the changes

• Flatten again...

5) Create another layer copy and set the mode to overlay.  on the overlay layer select Filer>Other>High pass and set it to 3 Pixels.
6) Flatten Image.

Phew...A long ways to go but a short time to create.  It took me about 5 minutes to correct the image and about a20 minutes to document the process. 
Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-33
screenshot001-jpg-33 (126.2 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
screenshot002-jpg-26
screenshot002-jpg-26 (125.96 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
screenshot003-jpg-12
screenshot003-jpg-12 (124.65 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
greg-fruit-bowl-jpg
greg-fruit-bowl-jpg (283.59 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:45 am

Thanks alot Greg. It is important to know where to go with the correction, which is perhaps easier when it is an image taken by one self. I'm often not sure what the "final" image should look like, esp when there are not a neutral.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Here is my try. I used CM LAB with a "hill" in the L curve in dark areas. Increased saturation in CB. Finally some Shadow/Highlight correction in Elements.  No good grey point so bit tricky. Applied some unsharp mask. Not as good as the expert ones but maybe ok for a Q&D approach.♠
Regards
ThomasD
Attachments
fruit-salad1_td2-jpg
fruit-salad1_td2-jpg (280.61 KiB) Viewed 8912 times

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”