What to do with this church image?

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm hoping you can all show me what I should have done with either/both of these images - they are one stop apart and more or less aligned.  I rested the camera on the back of a chair.
Attachments
dscn2735-jpg-2
dscn2735-jpg-2 (999 Bytes) Viewed 10579 times
dscn2737-jpg
dscn2737-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 10579 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 pm

My questions back to you Chris are...
What are your goals for the image??  Is this for print? Web? Do you want to remove the color cast from the side arches? 

There are a few different things I "could" do with this but overall the image is pretty good. 
If you want my goals and decisions for the image I'm happy to oblige but many of my suggestions will be subjective and are open to my interpretation.  (Oh wait...I did this to you guys earlier...)
But you posted so I'll return serve.  More to come....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I think I've seen "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" once too often.GregM
Attachments
dscn2735-copy-jpg
dscn2735-copy-jpg (289.21 KiB) Viewed 10580 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Interesting GregM, but it doesn't look a very friendly place to me - perhaps a tad too much sharpening?

This is what I had done to it - not such a big change.
Attachments
dscn2735a-jpg
dscn2735a-jpg (257.82 KiB) Viewed 10580 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Chris,initially I tried to recover some detail in the stained glass,just made it murky.Messed with the perspective,no go.Well if you can't make something better ,make it different,so I went for menacing.
Is the altarpiece illuminated?I dialed back the lightness to suggest contrast and detail.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 pm

I only took my pocket camera to take this shot - normally I could take 3 exposures at +/- 2ev to be able to mask the window back in.  The altar was lit, as were the sides.  The rest was actually very very gloomy and dark.  I have found a great piece of free software - Enfuse, which automatically combines exposures - much easier than CS's HDR facility - which I normally use.

Here is a rendition with the cast removed.

One of my current projects is taking parish churches and there is a lot of mixed lighting.  I tried curving these away, but it is too hard.  So I now use a cheating idea (cant remember if I thought of it, or read about it).  Basically duplicate the layer, set the blend to colour mode and then either clone or paint away the cast - really quick and easy in churches!

The image is strange in that the right half is out of focus - perhaps the lens was dirty.
Attachments
dscn2735acastremoval-jpg
dscn2735acastremoval-jpg (249.11 KiB) Viewed 10580 times

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:34 am

My feeble attempt...  Just added a little contrast to R channel and boosted color with CM.
Attachments
dscn2735-jpg
dscn2735-jpg (229.34 KiB) Viewed 10580 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 pm

This is an old post i did stumbling upon.

If i do understand Chris correctly the main problem is color casting due to mixed types of light sources.

I have found away that very easily removes those cast. As you can see i managed to remove the cast successfully. Though Chris did manage to keep the yellows in the back of the church which i do like. (this could also be achieved on this image to delete parts of the layer in that area.) The way i did it also there the cast got removed.

curchchrisnew.jpg
It looks or i did desaturate though that is not true.

I do this all in LAB (in this image i did also play a bit with masks and overlay's, though that is not relevant to the cast problem)

The method is as simple as effective:

Set a marker at the where the cast is visible. The A and B values should be zero there.

move the center of the A and or B channel curve to the crosshair until the value is zero.  Well the cast is now fixed though we did created a new one by moving the center. All we have to do is to restore the center. So we pick a point right above the center (in B channel moves) and move that to the center until also that value is zero and all casts are fixed.

I happen to use an open source tool (can't afford PS and CM) hope that does not matter.

More about this way can be found at:

Discussing with Lee Varis:

http://blog.varis.com/2011/10/17/simple-fix-for-mixed-lighting-problems/

how to's and examples:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/delaboratory-users/discuss/72157627878741061/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/delaboratory-users/discuss/72157627970443017/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/delaboratory-users/discuss/72157627925900509/

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 pm

There are many different ways to "de-saturate" the image to remove the color cast.  The problem with your version as I see it is that you lose the warmth that the original scene has and you also lose almost all of the color.  The end result of a B channel move like this is killing off all the yellow and blue since the color information is near the center of the B channel curve and you cross the center point with your correction.

I have looked at your pages that you linked and the curves shown are interesting.  in the B channel shown in the link http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4245/screenshot14q.png The inverted slope of the curve is causing the colors to be inverted. It also kills off any blue in the image where you might actually want it to be.  In general this technique is far too aggressive for common color correction.  You could use this as a layer and blend it back into the original but it is a very destructive move as far as color goes. 

A simple solution in CM might be to mask off the areas and use HSB to de-saturate the area that you are having trouble with. 

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Greg thnx. I play with it. i am only a newb learning

On the church image of Chris . i feel the same. there would be good to work on a mask for sure.  Good idea. Might do the trick to get it real nice

The slope your right. much better to use linear curves on this operation. I just forgot to restore the slope This operation is much better with linear curves Though i doubt or it does kill the blue's. I think it only did 'cure' the blue cast? Any blending with orginal is sure a good idea very often imo? About the way i did it being to aggressive, kinda funny is Lee Varis did find not aggressive enough.

desaturate in HSB , i am not a fan of that, as some tends to kill colors that is the one?

here second try on the church fixing only red and greencast. accepted yellow as part of the actual lightning.which turns to be not such a bad idea. Did use same LAB technique.

chruchredcastgreencast.jpg

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”