An easy image?

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.

Postby -default » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

Joann.  This first week of the class is a preview of what is coming, with spontaneous images being presented along with various solutions.  The actual class will be more similar to what you're used to with Sara and other on line classes, with more structure, including explanatory text and illustrations.  

We do encourage you to take a crack at the images presented here, and then try them again after the class is underway, to see how the techniques you learn compare.  Or post an image of your own, that you've already worked with, and see what people do.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Greg,
I seem to be having trouble posting this. Keep getting message that post already done but not visible on web site. So I will try again.
I had a go on this one but it looks a bit blue in the shadows. I used the wizard first and am trying to remember "dont panic" at the mention of turning it off. This is the first time I have tried to use curves and I really just fiddled without knowing what I was doing. I suppose it's how I will learn. Any suggestions please let me know I am looking forward to some feedback. The second image is just sharpened a lttle using the neat plug in and I used a small adjustment in levels.
I downloaded the program for acv files and it worked a treat!

Jule

Julie,
Your correction for this image is really very nice.  The shadows, as Mike mentioned are still a problem but a minor one.

Multiple "passes" or corrections in CM is a very powerful technique and you will be learning more on how and when to do it.  The bottom line is that there are corrections that sometimes need to be made that conflict with a correction you have just made.  Rather than undo something you just worked hard for; you can apply the first correction and go back to PS or PSE then re-open the image in CM and make a second correction.  Sometimes in a separate color space.  I for instance used LAB and CMYK in my correction.

Sharpening is almost always recommended.  CM can do some sharpening and we do cover some techniques for doing that.  No need to worry about using other tools.  We want CM to be a part of your work flow,  that means we use other tools to complete the image as needed.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Really an excellent correction Julie - you are going to keep Greg on this toes during this course
Chris

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 pm

What I like about Julie's version is that the painting on the wall  has just enough detail to anchor the diagonal from 11 o'clock to 4 o"clock.I tried and wound up with noise and casts.Well Julie,you won the right to buy the next round,congrats!GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Awesome Catch Greg...
I might have to take another swing at this one...that painting is now going to bug the heck right out of me....

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 am

GregM,
I think its a compliment but I have absolutely no idea what you mean. Can you explain for me please

Julie

What I like about Julie's version is that the painting on the wall  has just enough detail to anchor the diagonal from 11 o'clock to 4 o"clock.I tried and wound up with noise and casts.Well Julie,you won the right to buy the next round,congrats!GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:16 am

Julie,
I'll take the liberty...

The picture he is talking about is circled.

The diagonal is a strong composition element  the picture gives it a logical anchor point in the image.  These are the types of things that should be considered when making decisions regarding an image...

BTW it is a strong compliment...I add mine to it as well...good work...I can't wait to see how much better you get...
Attachments
dscn1463crypt_edited-1for-p-jpg
dscn1463crypt_edited-1for-p-jpg (242.94 KiB) Viewed 9822 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 am

It's why the hands of watches and clocks in advertisments  always(99.9)point to 10past10.A "v" is a strong visual statement.GregM

joann

Postby joann » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:03 am

Thank you for telling me this. I was almost in panic mode. I've actually printed out every page in the manual so I won't be completely dense. Curvemeister has changed a lot from when I first used it.....I'm really looking forward to learning how to use the program.
I will try to correct the images given this week.
JoAnn H

Joann.  This first week of the class is a preview of what is coming, with spontaneous images being presented along with various solutions.  The actual class will be more similar to what you're used to with Sara and other on line classes, with more structure, including explanatory text and illustrations.  

We do encourage you to take a crack at the images presented here, and then try them again after the class is underway, to see how the techniques you learn compare.  Or post an image of your own, that you've already worked with, and see what people do.

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:28 am

Greg,

thanks for the explanation. I have noticed that I like diagonals in photos but thought it was just a personal bias. I certainly seem to have a lot to learn. I will try to have a go at the horse tomorrow before I go to work

julie

Julie,
I'll take the liberty...

The picture he is talking about is circled.

The diagonal is a strong composition element  the picture gives it a logical anchor point in the image.  These are the types of things that should be considered when making decisions regarding an image...

BTW it is a strong compliment...I add mine to it as well...good work...I can't wait to see how much better you get...

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”