Bigger challenge

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:25 pm

Greg, I posted a new image above(copy3).I'm not sure I got the masking right,will try again tomorrow.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:58 am

Greg,
Let the mask be a bit more open... If you look at the original mask I Posted near the top the face has some Gray shaded areas.  This is actually good because it allows the mask to bleed a bit of the correction into the rest of the face at a lower rate than the a full white does.  Masks need not be fully high contrast.  In fact the K mask in the MFM Color saturation that was in the news letter was only 80% of the total value it could have been.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:32 am

I'm getting old Greg - I can not spot any green tinge on the left of her face in my images, nor can I see the change in the Hue clock move towards green.  So I'll have to give this one a miss!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Really...how odd..  If it looks good to you give it a pass..Looking at on a second monitor I agree with you...

Interesting...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi
I've finally finished my most hectic weeks tasks and can now get back to here.
I tried following the directions for using the skin mask.
I could create the mask but could not find a way to save it as a layer to Photoshop.
My Curvemeister doesn't seem to be arranged like the screen grab shown above.
So the attached image was processed as follows.
The image was White Balanced on the white tee-shirt,in Lightroom.
I then brought it into Photoshop and though the sides of her face seemed to be green they were just slightly magents. Just one to four positive in the a channel. However it looked slightly greenish so I applied a green curve (133/123). This made the face somewhat magenterish so I then applied a blue correction curve(135/120). I could probably achieved the same result using the red channel.
I was still concerned by the bright green background so I made a rough colour range selection on the background, copied the selection to a new layer and darkened the selection layer with a curves adjustment.
The image still seemed to have a green tinge around the face even though the info tool measured it as being slightly magenta, so I invoked Curvemeister and pinned a Skin8 to the side of her face just above her left ear.
The final result seems natural for my part of the world, though it might seem too yellow or red for other countries.
Just goes to show that reading pixel values is a handy guide, but it's what it looks like and not what the info tool reads which is important.
Just for intrest, what colour is her smock?
Dennis.
Attachments
gjg_0010-c-jpg
gjg_0010-c-jpg (214.15 KiB) Viewed 8210 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Dennis,
Can you screen shot the entire CM screen for me so I can look at how you are set up??
I might be ale to help you get the interface into a better config for you.

P.S.  The Scrub top is mint green...
Greg

Postby -default » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Thought I'd chime in with an example.  This was done with a neutral on the white shirt, followed by tweaking the Lightness curve with attention to the bright areas on the face, the highlights, and the midtone skin areas.

BTW - mind if I move these to the Interesting images area?  Maybe some other folks would like to try their hand at this image.
Attachments
gjg_0010-corr-jpg
gjg_0010-corr-jpg (167.18 KiB) Viewed 8210 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 am

Feel Free to move these

Greg

Postby -default » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm

It's bee a while since I've looked at this one, and hats off to several of you for doing a better version than my own.  Zog's version in particular stands out - green is indeed an important color, and Zog also did well on the skin tones.

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”