Greg Groess's Zion image

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:06 am

That is excellent Brian - without a doubt the best correction so far and the sky is just right.  It feels so natural with the various tone-ings that you have made, that I feel I am standing there.
Well done
Chris

Thanks Chris . . . you are giving me a big head!

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:05 am

Here is what I did this afternoon.
It was processed first in Photoshop Lightroom, where adjustments to the tone curve and the saturation and luminence of the red, blue, yellow and orange channels.
Then the overall saturation, contrast, vibrance and clarity were adjusted.
The image was then edited in Photoshop. Where a copy layer was blended to the background layer in Multiply blend mode with 57% opacity, 100% Fill opacity.
Only the blue channel was blended with the blend-if top layer 93~191 to 255 and the bottom layer 0 to 255. This enhanced the blue in the sky. It also effected the whites in the stream bed.
A layer mask was used to mask out the change in the stream bed.
The image was then adjusted in CM with a slight 'S' curve in the Luminance channel, the neutral point was positioned in the cloud and the blue portion of the b channel was steepened.
I'll put screen shots of the udjustment in the forum for those who are interested.
Dennis
Attachments
week-01-01-3-edited-jpg
week-01-01-3-edited-jpg (231.05 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm not sure I'm quite happy w/ it, but here's my go, using a sort-of "extended" ladder trick, where some extra layers were added to adjust local contrast.

Tools used:
16-bit Lab mode
Surface blur
Gaussian blur
Curves
Apply Image (to get differences)
Curves adjustment layers
Linear light blend mode
Hue/saturation

Attachments
zion09-jacob-jpg
zion09-jacob-jpg (201.45 KiB) Viewed 3963 times