Please post a "troubled" image you would like us to take a shot at....

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Now it's your turn...
Please post an image or two that are giving you trouble and we'll all have a run at them to see if we can "fix" the problem.

Time to play stump the band.....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Maybe not a problem but would be nice to see what could be done of a picture like this.  Often you do not know the problems you have. Should be thankful for that:)
One remark. I love Scottland and this photo was taken during a short visit last year,
Thomas

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:33 pm

It is beautiful. Here is my try. 

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Very nice :) What did you do?
Thomas

Gary

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 pm

I did'nt see anything wrong with this image, I just tried adding a bit of contrast and did a small adjustment with shadow/hightlight to lighten the shadows a bit. Nice photograph.

Gary

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 am

Since this is the first image I have really shown my corrections for an image I want to make sure that you all understand that I am not always the final answer to a color correction problem in this class and I will sometimes learn from all of you. 

In fact it is one of the primary reasons I teach the class.

Every session I learn something new from all of you.  All that said...here is my correction for this image....I will not be posting the curves for this image since I really want you to try this too...Later in the course I'll try to post the curves I use as needed.

Steps...

1) Before I started, I saw that the cloud highlight was blown out.  It might not be in the original but the copy from the web was.  I chose the quick and dirty clone stamp solution since clouds are easily cloned.  I only covered over the hot spot.

2) Open the image in CM and used the Threshold feature to set the highlight and shadow thresholds.  Once you fix the blown highlight you can add more contrast to the image without the cloud giving you too much trouble.  We will cover thresholding in the first week so don't be too concerned about it right now.

3) I opened the shadows in the middle back of the image using a slight Dog leg move on the L curve in Lab.  The dog leg is another special move you can use to open shadows or tone down highlights.  I adjusted the highlight side of the curve until I liked the clouds.

4) I boosted the green in the middle back by using the "color worm" to pin point where on the A curve of LAB the middle background greens were.  I pinned down the red side of the curve using the "pin grid" command and adjusted only the green side of the A curve.

At this point I closed CM to apply the changes I had made to the image.
The next steps were to add drama to the sky.

5) Open the Image in CM in LAB mode and opened the mask cart.  I selected the saturation mask from the set of choices since it had the best contrast for the clouds to sky after the first round of correction.  I adjusted the Saturation mask curve in CM to make the blue sky white and the clouds black.  I copied the mask to a new layer in PS closed CM.

6) In PS I painted out the foreground on the mask using a soft brush. Switched to the image side of the layer mask and re-opened CM.

7) Using the "Glenco Sky" pin I pinned the blue sky for color and saturation.

8> Adjusted the L channel to increase the saturation and decrease the brightness of the Sky.  Closed CM. Flattened the image.

9) Un-sharp Mask in PS.  Am = 500%, Rad = 1.1, Threshold = 0 on a new layer.  Set opacity to 25%.  Flattened the image and saved.

Total time for this correction was about 15 minutes.

Please try this image yourself there is a lot to do here and plenty to learn from this seemingly easy image...
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:40 am

First pass was a contrast pin(later in course,great for vegetation),then a bit of saturation in HSB.Nice pic.GregM

kessi

Postby kessi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi all,
here is my 'troubled picture'. I took it at night while a huge veld fire swept through our mountains. I took the shot with all the wrong settings on my camera. But I still like it. I have managed to produce a credible image in PSE but would like to see if it could be even better using CM. So over to you all.

By the way, I like tguseva's manipulation of Thomas' photo.

kessi

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 pm

In Lab,a lizzard tail to outline people then a saturation boost.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:48 pm

This was a good image to kick around....

I used and Inverted K channel as a mask to protect the flames and smoke....
I adjusted the K in CMYK to lift the shadows a bit.
I adjusted in LAB for L channel to finish off the brightness...and I adjusted the A channel to make the fire orange again.
Increased the saturation in LAB using the saturation slider.

I'm not sure about the smoke just yet...I might revisit it to tone the smoke down a bit....

Greg

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”