A muted fall image for openers...

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:55 am

I agree Derek, that it is sometimes difficult to see how to use the Ladder and when it would be useful.

I particularly find I can not set good shadow and highlight points using it - but it does really work when there is good contrast in one of the channels for what you want to do.

I have played with it on and off and when I have a moment to try it and compare it to 'normal' curving.

I do not really understand how it works, but am treating it like an automatic car - I can use it, but do not fully understand what is going on under the bonnet.

However I think this technique deserves to be published and to that end I've written a few pages to share it with others - see http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/lefteye/MainPages/jacobsladder.htm if you are interested.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Zog,
Your last sentence on the Actions Page really peeked my interest.
I have played quite unsuccessfully with this technique and have found no motivation to try it further until your last sentence.

Multiple neutrals in Lab is quite a lure to dangle in front of this old fish....

Does Mike understand this??

Can you say CM4 support???

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:15 pm

This is not a very good example Greg, but as I had had trouble with this image (getting neutrals everywhere) I tried the Ladder.  I wasnt worried about the rest of the image, just in getting neutrals.

Unfortunately we can not use CM to curve as it has to be done on an adjustment layer. 

By pure luck (?) the hue clocks are accurate for greys, but of course as they read screen values, they are not correct for others as they are not profile aware.  The image attached is a screen shot, so the values are not correct in photoshop.

Now can you find another image which needs multiple neutrals so we can compare rgb & Jacobs Ladder (in Lab)?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Just out of interest I have done the same in rgb - more or less the same neutral points.

Interesting thing to notice is the change in colours in the rest of the image - the rgb example has significantly lighten the whole image - absolutely no idea why, as all I did was set 5 neutrals!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:46 pm

What version of CM are you running??
If you have the Beta of 3.10 there are "issues".

If not did you set a highlight or shadow by mistake??

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm not running the beta as I dont need the extra bits - and I did not set shadow or highlight - just the neutral as shown in the screen snapshot

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Just tried to replicate your image and had no problems with the brightness shifting.

I even added more neutrals to see if I could push it...no changes to the composite RGB curve in my attempt.  The brightness did not change.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:43 pm

can only assume it is the screen snapshot that is doing it

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”