Big Rock Conundrum

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am

Hi everyone.  So as you may know, I invented a new way of color correcting using Photoshop’s Linear Light blend mode (several months ago, then I played with it a bit, then set it aside a bit, and have been really trying to push the idea in the past few days), that someone on the Applied Color Theory mailing list dubbed “Jacob’s Ladder”.  Seems like a good name to me. =)

Anyway, I used that technique (along with the shadow/highlight tool, and a bit of sharpening), and I got a result on this image that I like pretty well, but I thought I’d post the original here, to see what you all can come up with.  I’ll post my corrected version in a couple days.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Well, just to start the ball rolling - here is a Lab correction with a touch of sky enhance.

The image seems to have halos around the rocks, which I assume is a result of resizing/compression, and gives me lovely green edges!

I only spent a few minutes on it, and at this small size the artifacting is quite large, so I do not think we can read too much into the correction - I would probably be happy with this for a snapshot.  I'm looking forward to a 'proper' correction being posted to compare against.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:34 pm

using only CM...

Lab with a K mask for the sky.  There is more in there but this is quick and fairly clean...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 pm

And an CM assisted HDR version....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 pm

love the texture in the rocks Greg - great

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Okay, here’s what I came up with (but my goal was to keep it close-ish to what I remembered rather than create a fantastical scene).

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:01 am

Threshholding in Lab,then a pass for the sky.A bit more purple for the distant mountains,a bit more magenta for the midground and hold the bone white for the rocks.

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”