Canyon Conumdrum

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Okay, here's a last try for now:

(As for pasting curves in: it'd be a bit of a bother.  There are 9 curves adjustment layers: 3 which are interesting, each with 3 curves, and then 6 layers which just scale the axes to have a more useful range).  I'd have to take 9 screenshots to grab out the interesting ones, and then they still wouldn't help anyone duplicate my result.  I'll put up examples if I do a more complete tutorial w/ screenshots etc.)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Excellent - well done - but how many passes/adjustment layers to get there Jacob?

The middle ground in the caynon could do with a bit more contrast and colour - if you look back at Mike's rendition, he has got some nice colours in there.

I think it is truly amazing.  I assume, to get there, you did not use selections and masks (in the old sense).

Also this demonstation should convince a few people to have a bash at this method and see if it can be developed further.

Postby -default » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Amazing.  This is a very HDR-like effect, but much more controllable.

One way to post all the curves would be to save the curves as adjustment layers, and post a copy of the psd file.  If the file is bigger than 200K, which is the practical limit for this forum, resize the image down.

I'm still busy on "administrative duties", but can't wait to give this a try on some of my existing images.

BTW - what do you think of Klaus's name Jacob's ladder for this technique?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:13 am

Mike, for someone who's on "administrative duties" you sure manage to keep a stern eagle eye on the web's various color correction forums! Sure looks like I can't hide from you, despite being holed up in Norway. ;-)

Postby -default » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 am

I'm always on the net, and Dan's colortheory group is one of the more important ones for me.  "Admin duties" refers to the various things, such as the newsletter, wikispam patrol, that have to happen before class starts this Sunday.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Latte' at the corner espresso bar...
day dreaming....

admin stuff I understand....lol Kidding...

BTW I want to learn more about this LAB L channel copy process. I tried it last night and I think I only have about half the story. I seem to be missing the point...

Sigh... 

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:51 pm

Greg,

Here is an action which you start from an rgb image.  It create a duplicate image and set up the layers for you in Lab mode. 

The action is called ColourByTones and uses FlatCurve - ignore the rest of the stuff

The action only does the L channel duplicate at the moment, but remember you can use any channel as the seed, and to blow your mind you can select different 'masks' to seed each of the 3 lab channels - that's why I've split up the action, to experiment.

Have fun and tell us what you think

Chris

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:10 pm

I shall give this a test fly...

I knew you'd distill this down to an action....I kind of thought it was a lot of steps for anyone to try to remember it all.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:31 pm

If you could then tell me how to use CM instead of PS's curves - that would be great, but I can not work out how it could be done.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:04 am

could you eliminate the curves layer since you are going to do curves on the layer below it??

Seems to me the need for the curve layer is a PS problem....
take a run at it..I'm going to as well

Greg

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”