An image from Tony Buzak

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.

Postby -default » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:25 am

Here's a nice image provided by Tony Buzak.  I'll be posting my own version of this image in the next several days.  I expect it will include some curve corrections as well as sharpening.  See what you can do in the meantime.

Mike

Postby -default » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:20 am

Here's my take on Tony's image.  I used Lab mode, but RGB would work well too, and I hope some of you will follow up with your own version of this image. 

The image is very good to begin with, though there is a warm red-magenta color cast, and the colors are probably a little too saturated for a people picture.  Neither of these are going to cause problems in the family album, but let's see what can be done to provide a different intrepretation.

The first order of business was to reduce the red color cast that of the left girl's white shirt (which could be pink), the brushed steel insets on the locker doors (which are almost certainly neutral), and the floor (which is probably not pink).  I set a neutral on the metal door latch on the leftmost locker.  This is close to a middle gray tone, and although the floor and right hand door latch are still a bit pink, it's a good compromise.  To persue this further, I would use an RGB correction to knock the last of the pink from these areas.

Setting a neutral helped with the second problem, which was that the skin tones were a bit too red and too saturated.  In the original the left girl's face looks a bit flushed, and as if she were wearing lipstick.  Knocking down the saturation by making the a and b curves less steep took care of this problem, and brought the hue clock for the skin tones to the normal length for a skin tone.

I made some minor adjustments to the Lightness curve to add detail to hair, face, and clothing.

Although it's hard to see with the 200K limit on attached images, I added a sharpen layer, and erased any skin textures that I thought did not benefit.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Here is my attempt
Lab
Shadow - black shoe
Highlight- white blouse
neutral - locker handle
slider 1.05
L slight S curve
Noise reduction
USM sharpening

Postby -default » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:08 pm

Very nice!  I particularly like the effect of the noise reduction on the faces, and the green background.

ianbowie

Postby ianbowie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Just for fun,

Used LAB.
Selected shadow on black shoe
Highlight on white dress
Neutral on floor.
Set skin tone on girl's face

Decided to remove busy background.
Extracted girlsto new layer ( needs improvement!)

Sharpened image

Postby -default » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:18 pm

That is kind of a cool effect.  Maybe add a sort of drop shadow so they aren't floating in space.

ianbowie

Postby ianbowie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:12 am

Mike,

Your right as always!

Added drop shadow.

Thanks

ian

ianbowie

Postby ianbowie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Tidied up the extraction of the two girls.

Ian

Postby -default » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:36 am

The extraction is much better - they still look kind of like they are floating in the air though - a tough problem to deal with. - Mike

ianbowie

Postby ianbowie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Mike,

I decided that drop shadow was not the answer in this case and I decided to create a shadow that would imply some distance from the girls to a wall.

I think it is better .

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”