Books by Dan Margulis

Discussions and questions about Dan Margulis's LAB Color Book
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Mike,
    You make it sound simple. but I must be a little thick headed to day. Could you give me  more detail on the procedure. I did find "copy channel" but I am not sure what to do with it!
    Thanks
        Barry

Postby -default » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:42 am

The object of the game is to find a channel that has has good contrast between the area you want to mask, and the rest of the picture. 

For example, a mask can be used to change a red shirt to a blue one.  Create an adjustment layer that changes red to blue.  Then scroll through the various channels of each color space to find a channel that is dark or light for the shirt.  Click copy, alt-click on the mask for the Hue/Sat layer, and paste the data.  Typically you will follow up with using levels to add contrast to the mask, and clean up with the paint brush so that only the shirt color is changed. 

Most people - myself included - will over-use them after their power is intially discovered.

Masks are an indespensible too.  The danger of using a mask is that masked objects take on an unnatural "punched out" look, and it is generally easier to achieve a natural appearance using curves alone, or by duplicating the layer, and using the Blend If sliders to merge the modified layer with the original.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:21 pm

;D
  Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try.
          Barry :D

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:48 pm

Hello all.  This is my first post since discovering the new board.

I have both of Dan's books, though I confess I got into the LAB book first, and have worked my way perhaps halfway through it.  Then I got the Pro PS book (used, on eBay)  but I have not gotten into it nearly as much.

I also got a copy of Curvemeister and took Mike's beginner class quite a while ago.  So long ago, in fact, that I think I would like to do it again just to refresh my understanding before attempting the intermediate class.  Is that OK, Mike?

I routinely use a "cookie cutter" approach (basically the Ch. 1 and 2 stuff from Dan's LAB book) on many if not most of my photos.  But I have not done anything more with all the other information in the books or Mike's class in a long while, so I have gone stagnent.  I am trying to reawaken my interest and learn more.

Sorry for the ramble.

-- Russ 

Postby -default » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:14 pm

Hello all.  This is my first post since discovering the new board.

I have both of Dan's books, though I confess I got into the LAB book first, and have worked my way perhaps halfway through it.  Then I got the Pro PS book (used, on eBay)  but I have not gotten into it nearly as much.

I also got a copy of Curvemeister and took Mike's beginner class quite a while ago.  So long ago, in fact, that I think I would like to do it again just to refresh my understanding before attempting the intermediate class.  Is that OK, Mike?

I routinely use a "cookie cutter" approach (basically the Ch. 1 and 2 stuff from Dan's LAB book) on many if not most of my photos.  But I have not done anything more with all the other information in the books or Mike's class in a long while, so I have gone stagnent.  I am trying to reawaken my interest and learn more.

-- Russ 

Hi Russ - good to hear from you! 

Certainly you are welcome to take the beginner's class again.  The format has changed, and I'm encouraging people to provide their own images for the class to add more material over and above the basics: shadow, highlight, and neutral.

An intermediate class is in the works - I'll be putting up some poll questions shortly so that the people who will take the class will have a hand in selecting the subject matter.

Meantime, the October class starts next Sunday, and example images and questions are always welcome here.

Mike

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Is not [Dan's book "Professional Photoshop, 5th Ed".]  more on press printing  in cmyk?

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 am

"10th anniversary second edition of Photoshop LAB Color" by Dan Margulis. This book is now available and Russ Brown is one of the Beta readers

Return to “Photoshop LAB Color Book”