Neat simple tip for PS and Elements

Share your quick and clever Photoshop, Elements, or Curvemeister techniques here!
Ganna

Postby Ganna » Sun May 03, 2015 11:22 am

I saw this simple tip in Petapixel. I think it's a way to see what happens with different colours when we convert to Black and White, but also handy if you want to alter specific colours in an image.
Open your image in PhotoSshop CS or Elements
1. Click on B&W Icon and select Black and White Adjustment Layer
2Change the Blending Mode to Luminosity
3. Play with colour-sliders to your hearts delight
Fortunately we automatically have a mask here, so paint with Black on mask to remove unwanted changes in your image
Attachments
capture-1
capture-1 (999 Bytes) Viewed 15304 times

artmar

Postby artmar » Tue May 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi Ganna,

Thanks for passing along the tip. Very useful --

Art

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Wed May 06, 2015 3:51 am

This method is developed mainly for the consulate to calibrate the notorious passport...

artmar

Postby artmar » Wed May 06, 2015 6:00 am

I'm awarding you points for that :-)

P.S. if you're in the mood for reading something that uses the (notorious) passport and seems like it will be enlightening but remains (to me at least) inscrutable after several readings (how's that for an invitation!), see:

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/rawdigger-histograms-what-is-the-raw-histogram

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Wed May 06, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks Art, will have a look at it

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Thu May 07, 2015 4:51 am

Very interesting. If I had to work these mechanisms and workings out, we would only have abstract images :-)
I really enjoy the passport peeping out of the images. Must say, I'm quite impressed with the colorchecker system.
Makes application of CM easier in some instances

artmar

Postby artmar » Thu May 07, 2015 6:55 am

I'm not sure exactly how to use the colorchecker system. Maybe we discuss during out next conference call.

Art

artmar

Postby artmar » Thu May 07, 2015 6:58 am

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Thu May 07, 2015 8:31 am

Art, you take an image with the colorchecker passport in (must fill at least 10% of the frame). Open that image in Lightroom, or ACR (In PS or Elements) From within these programs, export to the X-Rite software, which recognizes the passport and write a colour-profile back into ACR or Lightroom, based on the recognition of the colour-shift the clever software "see" on the image. By applying this profile to your image or all images that you took under the same light condition, will fix the colour cast. I checked it with CM afterwards and the neutrals are neutral. The software base the profile on metadata from the image, thus it is for a specific camera and lens under specific conditions. There are demos on YouTube

Return to “Tips and Tricks”