Sharpening ?

Do you have a systematic way to process your images?
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:13 pm

You are 100% correct - I've no idea what Firefox does as it works with IE & Chrome

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:29 am

Chris, I have to wait until I can get to a PC with IE on it...I have disabled it for all intents and purposes on my home PC.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 am

Dead right - I think it is a terrible animal and keeps falling over.  So I tried Chrome, which seems quite good, but I found that it fails on certain sites, just like FireFox does on mine.  Safari is different again and will allow one to break most javascript security that the others will not allow!
Who would have thought that all these browser engines can not all follow standards and behave the same.

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:51 am

Dead right - I think it is a terrible animal and keeps falling over.  So I tried Chrome, which seems quite good, but I found that it fails on certain sites, just like FireFox does on mine.

It's a mistake to blame the browser for not being able to render the mass of brokenness that Microsoft Frontpage puts out under the name of a "website." As part of Microsoft's effort to own the web, they made their authoring tool put out piles of non-standard HTML and Javascript, then ensured IE could render it when nothing else could. They then sat back and waited for the whole Internet to start dancing to their tune. Fortunately the whole Internet refused, and it's been Microsoft themselves who've been left with the headache of making new versions of IE standards compliant while somehow still allowing it to render all those millions of broken websites they actively helped create.

I'd like to explore your sharpening research, but I'm not going to install a whole new browser to do it, and I'm certainly not going anywhere near IE. By some measures 20%-25% of users now use Firefox. Another 10% use Safari. A handful more use Netkit based browsers like Konqueror (which also can't render your website). A third of your audience can't see your website. If you want those readers, you have to start using a website creation tool that's standards compliant.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 am

Unfortunately I'm not a web developer - I actually wrote the javascript, using an editor, outside of Frontpage and then implanted it.  I do like to pass on what I learn, but know that all Mac users will find a lot of things do not work (ie CM+++), but the main reason I write is so that I can remember!! I have always found that trying to explain something is a great learning tool!
My site seems to be hit by Firefox, Netscape, IE and then Opera in terms of percentages.

Derek, could you spare a minute and confirm that http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/Blending/InteractiveBlending.htm also fails under firefox
Thanks
Chris

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Hey Chris,
My Firefox says that the page requires a missing plugin. 
Then it says there is no acceptable plugin to be found.

Works in IE7 but crashes on exit.
Greg

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Derek, could you spare a minute and confirm that http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/Blending/InteractiveBlending.htm also fails under firefox

Yes, as Greg says, it asks for a plugin. I'm not sure what it's after. Ignoring that, most of the buttons are inactive.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Chris,I took one of your images and after a SHN in CM,tried the few sharpening techniques I know on it.The one I went with was the USM at 20 amount and radius 10(I tried 20) The improvement was to the drape of the clothing,almost 3-D.Yes,there is a halo behind the woman in the red dress and there was a color shift after sharpening but I think the picture has a certain verve.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Derek, I think I have identified the javascript problem and altered it for just this page
http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/lefteye/MainPages/statue_ni.htm#
Can you see if it works, in which case I'll change the others as well
Chris

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Derek, I think I have identified the javascript problem and altered it for just this page
http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/lefteye/MainPages/statue_ni.htm#
Can you see if it works, in which case I'll change the others as well

Yes, that now works! :)

Return to “What's your Workflow”