Lee Varis's 10 Channel Workflow

Got a Photoshop or Elements question? This is the place to get it answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:48 pm

I love his systematic approach...  let's hear what you think.  He's an anti-curves sort of guy though.  Strictly channels and blending modes and layer blending for Lee.  :) 

Anyway curving is more intuitive for me.  I'm thinking of a hybrid approach in conjunction with the color separation.  Just ideas floating around for now.
http://www.varis.com/video-tutorials/10-channel-workflow-part-1.html

He did achieve some impressive color and shape in that test image though.  He made some point that alot of instructors don't address... about what really make an image outstanding and really what target you're aiming at when improving an image.  A very straightforward guy. 

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:54 pm

I like his video and information.  I use his techniques for RAW conversion.  I do not know why is adamant about using recovery or fill NOT both.  I suspect it is a banding issue.  Is it if you use both the values are compressed and some values become the same.

I run into poorly done images with plugging shadows and blown highlights.  Using ACR or LR, you can recover some highlights or some shadow information, but not both?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I love his systematic approach...  let's hear what you think.  He's an anti-curves sort of guy though.  Strictly channels and blending modes and layer blending for Lee.  :) 

He sure wants to avoid curves....
I'd say he has a lot of good channel ops info in there because of the way he is working.  Lots to learn about channels.  If you combine some of what he does with some of the things we already use curves for you can get a long ways down the road very fast.

You would be able to have your cake and eat it too...
Greg

Return to “Questions about Photoshop and Elements”