Black and White conversions

Got a Photoshop or Elements question? This is the place to get it answered.
Rickypics

Postby Rickypics » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:45 am

Howdy Gregg and Mike,  Been a while since I have been here. Hello forum.

I am having difficulties with my black and white conversions. I am not happy with my results. They turn out either flat or gray instead of b/w. My prints are only "ok". I was having some banding issues but I stumbled into fixing that even though I am not sure what I did except bump the heck out of saturation before attempting the conversion.

I am still in CS3 and plan on staying there for another version.  My files are going through my Onyx RIP, not printed through CS, and all my profiles and papers are correct and profiled for b/w. It is not a color management issue that I can tell.

Do you guys have some magic tricks using Curvemeister that may ease my pain? I am simply working too hard to achieve final prints that I am sending out the door solely because I have to, not because I am pleased with the final print. I have been working in color so long that I feel blind in Black and White.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey Rick,

How are you converting to B&W?  Are you using de-saturate? 
Are you splitting channels and re-applying them to each other

Some of the results may be coming from your process....Can you post an example??
Greg

Rickypics

Postby Rickypics » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Greg,  I am not de-saturating or using any of the simpler methods. I have used Kellby's systems, tried many of the tutorials on line, and have not found any joy in my results.  Last night I downloaded the channel split method from Adobe and will try it later today.

I was hoping for magic from you. What is the method you have found "works best" for people images. My concerns now are with my color files from weddings that the clients wish printed in b/w. Dark, night and late evening shots that have a majority of the frame in very dark shade are my biggest problem presently.

Let me dig out a couple of examples when I get into the studio and post a couple for you. Thanks for the quick response.

Rick Moore

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

For people shots I split the channels and curve the individual images.  an example can be found at the following: 
http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php/topic,2875.0.html

It is not a People image but you should get the idea...
In general Get rid of the B channel unless there is something very significant in it.  If you curve the R and G channels correctly you should get much better less muddy results...

Greg

Rickypics

Postby Rickypics » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks Greg,  Nice link with plenty of information to digest. Give me until this evening to chew and swallow it all.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm

take your time...
Post an image if you like and we can all take a hack at it...

Greg

Return to “Questions about Photoshop and Elements”