Photoshop Lab Color ( book)

Got a Photoshop or Elements question? This is the place to get it answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:29 pm

Readers,
I have bought yesterday The book Photoshop Lab color from Dan Margulis.
I think first edition 2006.
there are some people with us , they have read also the book and some the whole book.
I 'm at chapter 2 and reading it.
But curious  I  am, I loaded the first picture A on page 34 and looked at that picture with Curvemeister.
It is strange to me that some numbers are not so I expected.
It good be right. ( I have not reading the whole chapter, and the orginal pictures are all in a lab profile witch P.S.E. 4.0 converted for the monitor)
But it seems to me strange, and the first thinking is, there is something wrong?
Or not?
Who can explain it to me.?
I know Mike Russel can do it.
But he is very busy now.
I may not copy anything from the book, but of course I can use Curvemeister to  interpret it and copy
the Curvemeister result from the picture.
I have made info's from the colors.

Frits

Postby -default » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:07 am

Readers,
I have bought yesterday The book Photoshop Lab color from Dan Margulis.
I think first edition 2006.
there are some people with us , they have read also the book and some the whole book.
I 'm at chapter 2 and reading it.
But curious  I  am, I loaded the first picture A on page 34 and looked at that picture with Curvemeister.
It is strange to me that some numbers are not so I expected.
It good be right. ( I have not reading the whole chapter, and the orginal pictures are all in a lab profile witch P.S.E. 4.0 converted for the monitor)
But it seems to me strange, and the first thinking is, there is something wrong?
Or not?

Hi Frits,

I don't think anything is wrong.  There are three interesting things happening here that I'll just mention briefly: 

• You mentioned offline that the skies were bluer on your screen than in the book.  The skies in the book are slightly purple because of the American SWOP printing process used to convert the Lab images used in the book.  The problem can be fixed by using CMYK mode in Photoshop, but Dan restricted hiself to Lab for this particular book.

• Certain colors, such as L45 a(50)b(50) (also called Lab(45,-50,-50)) are not possible in RGB.  The color is too intense.  Another obviously impossible color would be Lab(0,50,50), which would be a completely dark object with the most intense red possible.  Elements deals with these colors by using an approximate RGB value.

• When opened in Photoshop CS2, the b(50) and a(50) values are -49 in the image, instead of the expected -50.  This appears to be an error.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:51 pm

I  am reading the book!
I am on page 63 now.
my impression is that we must thank God and Mike Russel that he had made something like Curvemeister.
When you like to do it on the way as decribed in the book, you were crazy.
you must  exercise every day to master it.
He used also to much words. Whole stories he tells.
Continueing reading............

Frits

Postby -default » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:32 am

Dan's writing is entertaining, and includes stories and extra information.  This could be a lot of work to read for a non-native speaker, but the information is there, and there are example images too.

(Thanks for the kind words as well, Frits.)

Return to “Questions about Photoshop and Elements”