Mixed lighting

Jacob Rus's new curve-based technique, with examples
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:48 am

Here is a a mixed lighting shot - the stone is not painted it is all the same colour

What can you do with it?

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:05 pm

I tried with the channel mixer... but I dont really understand it yet.

So I corrected the blue chanel in Lab and Rgb.
I tried to find a neutral without success.
I tried to make a pin from the right arch and then applied it to the blued stone; but this too I dont quite understand.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:52 pm

I zapped it with my friend sledge hammer (Lab mode)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:59 pm

Shad,Highlight,Neut in RGB,color boost in Lab

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Played with the perspective control,drained a little yellow and pulled down brightness in HSB

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Where did you found your neutral point?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 pm

At about 10:00 on the left wall.It read about Red=196,Blue=196,Green 194,close enough for a neutral.SeeMSnap066

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Zog...You continue to amaze me....

I think I'm going to ship you some color correction filters and a good book on mixed lighting....

ok...This is my swing at your mixed lighting image.

Process as follows:
1) Open in PS copy the background as a new layer... use CM in LAB mode to set a neutral on the blue part of the stone.  I shopped around for the neutral until I hit a pretty good spot.  Then using the saturation slider I boosted the color a bit knowing I would need it later...Closed CM to apply the changes to the layer copy.

2) Copy the background copy layer to a new layer called mask..Open CM and use the mask carte to find a good mask for the yellow parts of the image...I used the B channel of LAB because it was quick.  Adjusted the mask to ge the most contrast and then slid the entire curve to the left on my setup to increase the contrast even more.  Copied the channel using the CM tools and pasted it into the layer called MASK in PS as a mask.  Alt-Click then paste.

3) re-opened the Mask layer in CM and adjusted the B channel until the yellow was really reduced in the archways Had to make a "linked" vertical move in CM to get rid of some of the tougher yellow parts. I Used a very wide soft brush to paint on the mask a bit to refine the adjustment. Closed CM and flattened the image.

4) re-opened in CM and using the saturation slider I adjusted until I deceided that there was just too many different ways to adjust this.  

Posted the result and vowed to find a way to hunt Zog down....(Kidding)

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 pm

We will be covering neutral very early on in the class.  This is one of the toughest concepts to get across.  It is very subjective sometimes and in many cases there is no neutral in an image. 

Try this...

http://www.curvemeister.com/wiki/index.php?title=Neutral_Thresholding

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Well Greg,

I am always in awe at the way you and Mike manage to take such awkward photos for us to play with, so I thought I join in!

Unlike you two, I find it very hard to take pictures that need so much attention, but I was lucky enough for the camera to go a bit wonky during a bracketing run.

Here is the previous shot in the sequence, that is more like the actual lighting and finally a very very quick adjustment using Jacobs ladder of the original blue one - yes a big cheat, but then that is one of the things you have taught me!  I did try using CM, but my results were pretty poor and it was a lot of hard work.

So lets have an easier one to try tomorrow.

Return to “Jacob's Ladder”