Stand-alone app?

If you have an idea for a new feature or other improvement to Curvemeister, this is the place to propose, discuss, and even vote on it. All suggestions are welcome, even the ones that are impossible!
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 pm

BUMP!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Oh...we're out here believe me...

Mike can you address anything on this topic??

Greg

Postby -default » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:56 am

All the suggestions from a couple of posts ago are doable - the mask blur settings, for example, are encoded in the registry, and just need a user interface to set the radius.

Drawing on the mask (or any other channel) is something I've thought about over the years.  My own leaning is to add more smarts to automatically adjust masks, than to have people painting in Curvemeister, which is already so well covered in Photoshop.

It's hard to believe it has been almost two years since discussing the stand along version.  For the time being, it looks like the next release will be an updated version of the plugin.

Looking back at the original post that started this thread, there is a new platform, called SilverLight, that might allow a stand alone version of Curvemeister to run on the Macintosh.  This does not require running the bootcamp version of Windows, but does involve some Microsoft evil to be present, so may or may not be an acceptable version for the Macintosh.

Mike

Postby -default » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 am

An almost two year bump may be a record.  I swear I heard goblins bowling in a nearby cave.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Just curious, why would it be easier or preferable to go this SilverLight route to bring it explicitly to the Mac platform, than just putting the Curvemeister plug-in within a Windows app "shell" to run standalone? Because it depends so much upon "hooks" into Photoshop to hand-off at least some of the heavy lifting?

Do we know how standards-compliant the Curvemeister plug-in code already is? That is, will it presently run under the Wine libraries, or is it dependent on Windoze roguery requiring the real McCoy?

Photoshop is all over the map in terms of which versions will run under the CrossOver Mac incarnation of the Wine libraries:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=photoshop

(And actually, the Mac goblins have been howling from having been thrown under the bus for over a decade, now!)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Lee,
Are you following this thread?? 
Could you look at this from a MAC standpoint??
I'm curious as to how this works....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh, I wouldn't say that I'm howling exactly  ;)
I'm running Windows via Boot Camp; Photoshop/Curvemeister work absolutely fine  :)

Whilst having to log into Windows every time I want to use Curvemeister is a bit of a drag, it's something that I'm happy to put up with to have access to all that CM goodness!

As mentioned previously, Curvemeister works perfectly well with Photoshop Elements, which comes free with just about every cheap camera/scanner - and not so cheap - Wacom tablet.

The principle advantage of using SilverLight as far as I can see is that SilverLight is designed for creating web-enabled applications, so potentially there would be lots of cool cloud-functionality. Imagine being able to seamlessly exchange color pin files, curve presets, etc. I'm sure that loads of cool things could be done.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:12 pm

check out the application he was suggesting and see if there is something we could test or recommend...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:06 pm

There are a number of free, open source Wine distros, but the commercial Codeweavers CrossOver Mac is the easiest to use — it pretty much "just works." A 14-days free trial can be downloaded here:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

PM me for any needed more info, and a "special tip & trick."

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Hold the presses! I am very excited about a discovery I just made. In a different connection, I stumbled upon this web page, "4N6site.com Forensic Photoshop Plug-ins":

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6795661/4N6site/improc/decoplugin/hosts.htm

...which lists Windows apps that are Photoshop-compatible plug-in hosts, including four FREE ones!

I downloaded the first one, IrfanView, and got it to install and run nicely under my Wine libraries-based Macintosh app, CrossOver Mac 11.2.0 by Codeweavers. I haven't tried the other three's Wine-compatibility yet, but when I get some time freed-up, my next step is to download the Curvemeister trial demo and see how it all works with IrfanView.

I'll report back soon, but meanwhile, hopefully some other Mac users here will try these host apps under CrossOver, too — for which a free trial demo can be downloaded here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/tosf/

(PM me with any questions about, uh, "the ins-and-outs" with the CrossOver trial demo.)

If this all turns out like it looks like it might, then this could be HUGE! I can see a lot of Curvemeister sales coming from Mac users over on the Margulis ACT list. I'll report back further here as soon as I can.

Return to “Vote on and Discuss New Features”