Image stats - Mean and Median pixel counts

If you have an idea for a new feature or other improvement to Curvemeister, this is the place to propose, discuss, and even vote on it. All suggestions are welcome, even the ones that are impossible!
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:21 am

As a bit of a rapid fire suggestion being a new user – I would like to see mean and median pixel values for the image after inserting/adjusting a point or points on a colour curve. I am used to glancing at these after a curve manipulation in PaintShop Pro (PSP). I don't want to have to return to PSE which I am using CM with, to find the information. The great benefit of CM is I can mess with the curves to my hearts content with nice preview manipulation, sampling points, tweak curves and keep going without applying  :D. In PSP I had to go round 5-8 curve edits to get it right – each time editing curves, OK, sample points on the image, decide on next moves, undo the curve edit, edit curves (getting the last applied curves back for more tweaking) and so on 5-8 times. I can almost get what I want in CM except for the mean and median information – so I can simply stay in CM until I am done with the curves bit of my workflow.

I am guessing the information could easily be permanently displayed and updated under the sample display in the top right of the window (or possibly as a status bar somewhere). There could be other image stats that others might like. Image stats could also made a a config setting  ;)

PS - in case you are thinking I am mad, I did not use adjustment layers in PSP as they are too slow refreshing previews with 40 Mpixel images. Edit/undo cycles are much faster, PSE's adjustment layers are better but then its inbuilt curves are a joke.

Postby -default » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 am

This is an intrguing feature, and it is feasible, obviously.  Do you use the median and mean for something specific, or as a general reference while adjusting?

Return to “Vote on and Discuss New Features”