CM fader

If you have an idea for a new feature or other improvement to Curvemeister, this is the place to propose, discuss, and even vote on it. All suggestions are welcome, even the ones that are impossible!
derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:01 am

I've asked for this before, but I think in the wrong group. I really, really want it, so I'm going to post again here!

The feature I need is a fader slider inside the CM dialog. That is, a slider that works just like the PS Edit->Fade control that's available after using a PS filter. I use this all the time - it's easier to get the effect I want, perhaps a bit overblown, then subsequently fade it out by a few percent, than it is it tweak all the curves downwards a bit while trying to keep the shape.

I've recently finished post processing a set of photos I took on a recent trip to Boston*, and during this work I made some serious effort at streamlining my workflow to get my time-per-image down. I used this CM-then-fade-it approach for probably over half the CM adjustments I made. It's currently really annoying to have to keep exiting CM, using the Edit->Fade, then realising the adjustment doesn't look quite right when faded, so going back into CM for another go.

The same technique is detailed in the LAB book, where it's used to pull back 'theoretical' colours into the visible range. That's another very useful looking technique that would be vastly easier to explore if CM had its own built in fader.

Alright, rant over. :)

* OK, since you ask: http://photos.derekfountain.org/galleries/holidays/Boston%202007/index.html

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:27 pm

The CM fader sounds neat, and I'd support that if it's not too much coding on poor Mike's part. For now, I do my CM work usually on a layer copy, and just lower the transparency when I overdo things (which I happily do most of the time!).

K

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:33 pm

The CM fader sounds neat, and I'd support that if it's not too much coding on poor Mike's part. For now, I do my CM work usually on a layer copy, and just lower the transparency when I overdo things (which I happily do most of the time!).

Yes, I sometimes use a separate layer too. It has the same effect and is editable, at the expense of file size. But you still have to exit CM in order to see the faded result!

I made the suggestion to Mike during the CM3 beta phase, and he said it would be relatively easy. But I think the suggestion got lost in the beta noise. He had other things to worry about, IIRC.  ;)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Is this the same as setting the transparency on the layer? 
If you make the CM adjustment a layer, and just turn down the adjustment, you would see the same effect? 

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:16 am

Greg, yes.

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:44 am

Is this the same as setting the transparency on the layer? 
If you make the CM adjustment a layer, and just turn down the adjustment, you would see the same effect? 

I think so, but I suspect the calculation is done differently between Edit->Fade and layer transparency. The visible effect is much the same though.

But as I say, you currently can't see the effect without coming out of CM to try it - that's what bugs me!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:13 pm

no to be a kill joy...

could you not run CM on a separate monitor and still see the PS screen?? 
I just want to understand the process....

Greg

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:20 pm

could you not run CM on a separate monitor and still see the PS screen?? 
I just want to understand the process...

I'm not sure what to make of this! I don't have a separate monitor. How would having one help?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:03 pm

Well
My understanding from Mike is that you could run CM on a second monitor, Many retouchers use a second monitor to hold the filters and then keep the image up on the primary monitor.  Most high end video cards support 2 monitors now. Then you would or should be able to see your changes in PS.  I also do not have a separate monitor but...If I did...hooo boy...

Greg

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:29 am

Well
My understanding from Mike is that you could run CM on a second monitor, Many retouchers use a second monitor to hold the filters and then keep the image up on the primary monitor.  Most high end video cards support 2 monitors now. Then you would or should be able to see your changes in PS.  I also do not have a separate monitor but...If I did...hooo boy...

My understanding is that updates to the CM view don't update other PS controlled views of the same document. I asked for that in CM2 and Mike said it wasn't possible. I doubt that the position has changed in CM3.

But even if it has, I don't see how that helps my desire for a fader! The CM3 dialog is modal, so even if updates I make in my CM window are reflected in the main PS view of the image, I still won't be able to control the opacity of the layer it's happening on (assuming that's the technique you're thinking of).

Return to “Vote on and Discuss New Features”