Fading pins

If you have an idea for a new feature or other improvement to Curvemeister, this is the place to propose, discuss, and even vote on it. All suggestions are welcome, even the ones that are impossible!
derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Time for another half baked idea. There might already be a better solution to this one that I don't know of.

I just used a pin to pull an area of foliage into the right hue. It's done a good job, except the image is now too saturated in those greens. The hue clock tells me the colour is right (about 2:30) but it looks too bright. Rather than try to adjust the curves by hand to keep the hue but reduce saturation, how about being able to somehow 'fade' the effect of a pin? I this case I'd want to fade the pin's saturation; does it make sense to want to fade the pin's hue? I'm not sure...

There might be a better way of doing what I want, but I thought I note the idea as it occurred to me. :)

Postby -default » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Derek,

Try this procedure to back off the saturation.  Double click the pin's info palette window to open up the color picker.  Click on the S in HSB, and use the slider to decrease the saturation.  After you click OK, you can check the result, and repeat if necessary.

I like the fade idea too, but this may be a convenient way for you get the result you want.

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:09 pm

I like the fade idea too, but this may be a convenient way for you get the result you want.

On a half related note, something I'm finding myself doing a bit these days is running CM and deliberately over cooking things to get the effect I want, hitting OK, then using Edit->Fade to reduce the CM effect to the level I want. I've actually started duplicating the layer, running CM on the new layer then turning it's opacity down to the level required. Dan Margulis does the same thing in Chapter 1 of his LAB book.

Can this fading be done in CM so I don't have to use Edit->Fade while it's available, nor have to create and use a new layer? I'm thinking of a slider like the LAB saturation one, only it reduces the effect of the entire curve (as opposed to the effect of a pin, which is where this thread started). Sort of opacity for the curve.

Or maybe an opacity slider on each curve, so I could, say, reduce the effect of the complicated L curve I've created without messing with it or reducing the effect of the a and b curves.

Postby -default » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:18 am

Another good idea Derek that would not be too hard to implement.  No promises, but it goes on a list.  Thanks.

Return to “Vote on and Discuss New Features”