Curve area indicated on image

If you have an idea for a new feature or other improvement to Curvemeister, this is the place to propose, discuss, and even vote on it. All suggestions are welcome, even the ones that are impossible!
derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:58 am

As you move the mouse pointer over the image, CM gives you the 'floating ball' indicator on the curve so you can see where an area of colour on the image is on the curve. This is useful.

It occurred to me that it might be useful to have an indicator showing the information in the other direction. That is, I somehow mark an area on the curve, and the area of the image that that part of the curve represents gets indicated in the image window.

I'd find this useful because I'm making adjustments to my curve, trying to increase the slope of the curve in areas I've identified as needing a boost, but also knowing that somewhere on the curve I'm going to have to flatten it a bit. I'd find it useful to be able to, say, drag the mouse pointer across the flat area of the curve from left to right, and have those tones indicated on the image. Therefore I'd immediately be able to see where I'm loosing the contrast in exchange for my boost elsewhere.

We already have something like this - I can drag the high and low threshold vertical bars across the curve to either end of my flat spot, and the threshold area will be marked on the image. Just what I'm after, only moving those points is destructive - I'm just after an at-a-glance indication.

Unless there's already a way to do this I don't know about... :)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:47 am

Derekfoutain,

You can use lots of Markpoints to mark out your room on the picture on the curves.
And you can thereby use pingrid on several ways. Set lose or someone lose.
And so on.

Frits

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:13 pm

You can use lots of Markpoints to mark out your room on the picture on the curves.

Yes, but that's still going from a point on the image to a mark on the curve. Given that I have a flat spot on my curve, I'd like to go from the curve to the appropriate areas of the image...

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:39 pm

Yes, but that's still going from a point on the image to a mark on the curve. Given that I have a flat spot on my curve, I'd like to go from the curve to the appropriate areas of the image...

Derekfoutain,
indeed, that is very diificult.
when you set a mark, say on the image and you are, lets say in the mangenta curve then you get a mark  on the curve. But when you jump to another curve , you see the same mark (s).
Because each pixel in the picture has a different complex colors.
So , you would like  do it turned.
But how do you see that. ?
Setting 1 mark on a Curve ( if so is possible) then the other  supposititious spots are unknown.
So, you will set these also. In your mind , you could do that.
But, it seems me complicated, then there must be a algoritme to compute the color and then find the pixel(s) or area in the picture where these pixels are.
All is possible, but I think, that you asked to much from Mike.
And for what purpose. ? Give it much  vantage?
I don't see it.
you explain it to me the vantage!

Frits Egelie

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:14 am

And for what purpose. ? Give it much  vantage?
I don't see it.
you explain it to me the vantage!

The advantage is that you would be able to see the areas of the image affected by an area of the curve. We know that making part of a curve steeper increases contrast in the area of the image affected by that part of the curve - I'd like to be able to see that area of the image. More importantly, when you make part of a curve steeper, you also have to make another part flatter. The area of the image affected by that flat part of the curve will lose contrast, and again, I'd like to be able to mark the area of the curve and see parts of the image affected by it.

I'm not talking about a permanent mark - I'd just like to drag out an area of the curve, and have the appropriate area of the image highlighted while the mouse button is still held.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:30 am

We know that making part of a curve steeper increases contrast in the area of the image affected by that part of the curve - I'd like to be able to see that area of the image. More importantly, when you make part of a curve steeper, you also have to make another part flatter. The area of the image affected by that flat part of the curve will lose contrast, and again, I'd like to be able to mark the area of the curve and see parts of the image affected by it.

Yeah, I understand! But I think, it looks to me complicated to implement this.
I think, Mike would only do this, ( when it is possible!) if all owners or a great part of the owners like suche a thing.
And I think, the price  rises.
So, I like the idea, but if such a thing exists , I wil first try it, before buy it.
Besides that, would everybody like it.?

Frits

Postby -default » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:28 am

Great idea, once again, Derek.  I've been thinking of ways to do this, and one way is to have a row of icons along the bottom of the grid.  Clicking on an icon would highlight the parts of the image that fall in the part of the curve.

Return to “Vote on and Discuss New Features”