not lego, not skin . . . Paint!

Curvemeister pins are like a memory bank for colors. Discuss techniques and applications for pins. Find out about new pin files here!
j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi everybody.

I dont know how you manage to create pins for lego pieces.

I was thinking it would be interesting for me (me,me,me) to create pins for Winsord & Newton tubes for painting.
Lets say ' cadmium red ' a kind of chinese red.

How can I do that?

JP

Postby -default » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm

When noted in the pin file, the colors are scanned using a DTP24 spectrophotometer.  This is a device that measures the spectrum of colors that are reflected by an object.  Those values are used to calculate Lab values suitable for use in Photoshop.

I'm always eager to add new colors.  If you can dab the various colors of paint on a piece of paper or canvas, and mail them to me, I'll gladly scan them in with my spectrometer. 

Another possibility - does Winsord & Newton the equivalent of a swatch or paint chip book?  If so, I can scan that in.

Another way would involve photographing the swatches of color next to a standard reference, then curving your image to get the standard reference as close as possible.  Your paint swatches would then be reasonably close.

A tutorial on matching a scanned or photographed painting based on these pins would be a valuable addition.

I generally like to warn people that there are limits to the final accuracy of the colors, even if you use pins to anchor the Lab values to their measured values.  These limits generally require that you pick one or two important colors, that you want to be accurate, and allow the other colors to wander a bit.

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi Mike,

I painted all of the colours on 2 inches paper circles years ago. But because of the lightfastness I chosen to send you the photograph of my Quiller wheel which you will be able to adjust.  The printed colors seems ok to me.I took it under both neon 22Watts and 40 watts ordinary bulb.
I wish it will be ok. I photographed it with a Kodak gray card for you to adjust the neutral [ I have been told you know how to do it ;-)].

I also put the following colour chart on W&N web site for you to download if you wish.

http://www.winsornewton.com/assets/ColourCharts/AOC%20Colour%20Chart%204col.pdf

I wish everything is ok.

Jean

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:10 am

Hi

Here is a better tiff file:

http://privee.jeanpierredaviau.com/news/QuillerWheel.tif

Postby -default » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:44 am

Very interesting.  Unfortunately, a photograph of the wheel by itself is not going to produce very accurate pins for the colors. 

It is as if you had a map of the world, made of rubber, and stretched and distorted in an arbitrary way.  Positioning some of the cities and countries in the correct relative locations (corresponding to gray neutral areas in your image) does not guarantee that the other cities (colors in your image) will be accurately located relative to one another.

Postby -default » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:09 am

Also found an the following link, albeit for water color pigments, including Winsor & Newton, and corresponding Lab color values. 

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/huepurity.html

I have not sorted through this considerable work yet, but it seems to me that this chart could be made into a set of pins that might be of interest to a painter.

j2e4a8n

Postby j2e4a8n » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:56 pm

I am blowned out of this world!  ;-)

Ha! Absolutely exhausting amount of information.

Yes I could make the pins myself.  Although I wont make them all and only some usefull one on my way to painting; it is to say paint first, make the pins if you have time left ;-)

But, later, maybe, I will offer them somewhere on this site.

Thank you very much

Jean

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Jean,
You can create one pin using the numbers, then after you save the pin you can edit the pin file and add the pins as text to the file. 

You could copy the pin string to the clipboard and keep pasting it into the file.  Then just edit the values and in a half hour or so...Pooof!  Instant Pinfile.

Let me know if you want more than this...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Mike, that is an interesting page.

I notice that they have Lab Hue angles (arctan(b*/a*)) - are these very different from the 'normal' HSB angle?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:56 pm

The "color vision" section of that handprint site is the best color theory/color science overview on the web.

Return to “Color pinning”