Skin Tones

Curvemeister pins are like a memory bank for colors. Discuss techniques and applications for pins. Find out about new pin files here!
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:25 pm

After reading the article on LAB skin tones I tried a little experiment.  I created a pin file for some of the Caucassian pin values.

The L range is from 62 to 72
The A range is from 11 to 33 in steps of 2
The B range is from 17 to 38 in steps of 2

I have set the mode to be Pin to color.  Give these a test fly and let me know what you think...My goal is to create a set of closely related pins that you could use to set the shadow and highlight on the same face.  I wanted the pins to be closely related.

Greg

Postby -default » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Do you think it would be useful to have each hue at a variety of Lightness values?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:30 am

I was trying to figure that one out...

I wanted a adjustable Pin...but you already have that... it's just not very accessable...I was thinking of smaller panels of related colors I don't know for sure.

I just had a thought though...could you change the "Pin Area" to display little squares of colors in a fly over menu fashion so you could put like 50 colors on the tab and then pick the pin you want from the colors...like in a 5X10 grid.  Then you could set up colors by lightness values or whatever you wanted and have more than 1 pin to choose from...

So the way I see it would be...Hover the mouse over a pin tab say "light skin tone" and when the mouse hits the tab a small flying menu opens with 5X10 color swatches on it and you click a swatch and it sets the pin color for you to drag to the spot you want.  No pin would be created until you chose the color you want. then the mouse becomes a pin.  You select the spot on the image you want to adjust your mouse changes back to the arrow, and you leave a Pin on the image with the color you picked set.

This would give me faster access to larger amounts of pins and more freedome to choose a color rather than trying to adjust the pin.  I could have more presets to choose from. And i could create sets of colors for skin tones that are "family"

Greg

Postby -default » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:35 am

Hi Greg,

Hmmm, I like it.  Let's call them pin flyouts.  It's getting more important to access larger numbers of pins more easily - grist for the Curvemeister 3 mill.

Mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Indeed...

I think that would make pins very accessable...and much easier to work with...

Return to “Color pinning”