Hue clock

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
mburke

Postby mburke » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks for trying to help out. I've noticed that when I try the CM uninstall it doesn't seem to work very well. There are still files in the plugin/filter folder and CM.com doesn't go away either. I have to manually delete all the files. The windows uninstall doesn't seem to do a real thorough job either. When I use CM uninstall an old dos looking window flashes on the screen for a second. I don't recall seeing the screen that asks to rebuild the registry either. I hope that didn't get messed up because I don't want to have to go in there and try to find a problem. If you could come up with a routine for me to try I would certainly appreciate it. It looks like a nice feature to have.

You asked how I change the window. I grab the left side of the frame and drag left to enlarge the curves graphs area. I have also grabbed the top bar and moved the whole box and the same thing happens. The hue clock disappears when I let go of the mouse.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Mike,
Thanks for being so patient as we try to figure out your unique problem.  When I grab the left frame and re-size the window it works perfectly for me.  I use it all the time.  When I un-dock the panel and move it or re-size it I also do not experience any issues.  Is it only when you make a large move or does it do this with small adjustments as well? 

What is your screen resolution?  Include the DPI of the fonts please.

Greg

mburke

Postby mburke » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Screen resolution is 1920x1080. I have Clear Type turned on and the text size increased to 150% of normal. I have no problems with any other programs. I use Nik software, very little Perfect Effects, Qimage for printing. I have CS6, CC, and CC2014 installed but I only use CC because the Dan Margulis PPW panel doesn't work with CC2014 (yet). I use Firefox for a Browser. That is pretty much it. Microsoft Security Essentials for protection.

I really do appreciate your help. I hope my install didn't mess up my registry because I'm not sure how to cure it.

Thanks,

Mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Have you copied the CM plugin into the CC filters folder?  Can you use CM in CC? 
I have it installed in CS6 and CC2014. It is working fine in both cases.

As an experiment...Set your fonts to 100% and try it again.  You should not have to re-install CM to get the hue clock back.  It should come back if you close PS and re-start.  If you just close CM; it does stay active in PS and it will/can remember your settings within that PS session. 

So...

Try breaking it again and closing PS.  Then re-open PS and see if your CM is still broken.

Please let me know the results...
Greg

mburke

Postby mburke » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:09 am

You are GOOD!!!! I changed the fonts to 100% and it works just fine. I moved the window all over the place and the hue clock stayed. I then tried it at 125% and it still works just fine. I have it installed on CC (not2014) because Dan Margulis' PPW panel won't install on CC2014. At 100% the text is too small in Photoshop, at 125% it is readable. I really have to thank you for your stick to it attitude. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about CM. Really looks like a nice program.

Is there a way to restore it to a default work space? A lot of times the picture gets covered by the graph window and I haven't figured out how to resize the photo window other than the zoom tool and if I make it small enough to see the graphs and all the photo the photo is too small to judge. It would be nice if the photo could be moved to the left edge of the main window and then have the graphs take about 25% of the screen.
Maybe that is already there and I haven't found it yet. Not a big deal.

Thanks again for your wonderful attention.

Mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Wonderful!!!
I'll let mike know about the font percentage problem. 

I have CM installed in CC2014 as well as having run the installer for the PPW in CC2014 so that I have access to the hammer and sharpening filter actions.  For me they are the only usable parts of the PPW because I have more control over what we do in CM.  I have been very public about my comparison of PPW to what we can do in CM and some creative PS techniques. 

From my seat PPW is a solution to not having the tools we have in CM and being stuck in Apple work space.  Almost all of the techniques are driven by the fact that you have such poor control over the curves and the visual results in PS. 

I could go on for about an hour but know this...I and others have done side by side comparison of PPW to a CM workflow and we usually win the contest. 
I'll try to find the results documents we have posted. 

This is not to say Dan M is wrong;  In fact I have read 3 of his books and have held off getting his last because I found nothing new there and a few things that I found in there were troubling.  I refer to the knowledge and technique he has taught for years and it is the foundation of most of the things I do and teach in CM.

Greg

mburke

Postby mburke » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:02 pm

It would really be nice to see a comparative workflow. His last book was the only one I have read. Some of the other actions, sharpening and HK and sky are kind of nice. It would be helpful to see a side by side comparison. I am very pleased with Curvemeister so far. I look forward to becoming more proficient.

Thanks again for your help. I agree with Julie, you do a nice job on the videos. I am looking at the ones from 2 years ago in the October, November time frame.

Mike

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Dan M's action compared to standard seem magic.  He pushes his speed and the actions are "one-click".  CM methods are not terribly time consuming, and do a better job.  With practice, CM can be fast.  (unfortunately my day job takes over for long periods).  I rarely tackle 100 images, so time it not the biggest problem.  I would not like to spend an hour to color fix an image.

His skies are one click, I find I need to hand paint the masks.  I think CM for skies is equivalent or better.  CM can fix skies that PPW does not. 

His sharpening is excellent, I need to be careful of skies.  Sharpening skies especially with the noise of a color boost is bad.

His color boost (MMM) is too strong for my images.  I need to hand mask or blend-if or sharply reduce to be tasteful. 

On the other hand, I have done many images and never left Lightroom.  But those images were relatively well exposed and the destination were snapshots. Snapshots- light room , maybe 2 minutes.  Better shots with challenges, CM and PPW.  Portfolio grade images --  CM and PPW and hand masks.  Then save multiple attempts and come back with "clean eyes."  Often, I throw out the first attempt and start over. 

Return to “Curvemeister Support”