Extracting Curves

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 am

This is the tutorial I keep coming across when searching:

http://www.curvemeister.com/tutorials/CurveExtraction/

It's quite old, but I presume the procedure is still possible and remains fairly similar in the current version?

If it's more detailed / current / relevant to the newer version of Curvemeister then I'd love to see Mike's post :)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 am

I have never tried this but I'll run the example today this should still work.  very little has been dropped from the plugin mostly we have added.

I'll post my results later today...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:19 pm

OK...
Here is the current scoop on this....

The functionality is present in Curvemeister.  When I use it I hard crash Photoshop 64.  Since this is 100% repeatable we should be able to fix this and get a version out that supports the process.

I can do all of the steps in the current version with a slightly different workflow but when I load the Extracted curve file It crashes Photoshop. 

I'll post an update after talking to Mike...He loves a good hard crash. ::)

Greg

Postby -default » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks, Greg, for letting me know about this.  I should have some time in the next 24 hours to take a look.

Curve extraction was an experimental feature that I added because I was interested in the implications for calibration.  It seemed to me that photographing a Macbeth or similar color chart, extracting a curve to match a standardized image of the chart, and then using that curve on other images would give more accurate color.  It turns out not to be the case, alas, due to limitations in what can be accomplished in the normal color spaces.

So, I experimented with a version of Curvemeister that could output color profiles - to see if it would be possible to generate accurate colors in a more or less automated fashion, for monitor display and/or printing.  That turned out to be a dead end as well, and I sort of dropped that line of inquiry.  Not everything pans out.

But - curve extraction should at least work in most cases - provided the curve does not fold back on itself, that is.  I'll chase down the crash and get back to you.

Postby -default » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 pm

my apologies for taking longer than expected on this.  the last few sunny days, before rain, and a couple of family events, have taken their toll on my time allocated for coding.

Return to “Curvemeister Support”