do I need both 32-bit and 64-bit CM when running CS5.1 under W7-64 bit?

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
DougJ

Postby DougJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Up until a week ago I was running CS5.1 under XP-SP3 and CM3 was working just fine.

Over the course of the past week I've set up a W7-64 bit machine with CS5.1 which now gives me both CS5.1-64 bit and CS5.1-32 bit.  I like that option because I have one 32-bit plugin, Focus Magic, for which there is no 64-bit version.

In my W7-64bit set up, I have installed CM3.3.5-64 bit and when I invoke the 64-bit CS5.1 CM works as advertised, except that I can't find the external hue clock.  Mind you, the hue clock is available when I invoke CM as a filter in CS

Looking around I see the CM files in the program files folder but no CM files in the program files (x86) folder--and not surprisingly when I invoke 32-bit CS5.1 CM is not available under filters.

So, first question: do I need to install both the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions of CM in order to have CM available from within both versions of CS5.1?

Second question: where or how do I locate the external hue clock for the 64-bit CS5.1?

TIA for your assistance.

Doug

Postby -default » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Doug,

Yes, you do need to install both versions.  Also, the stand alone hue clock will be available after you install the 32 bit version.

All the best,

Mike

DougJ

Postby DougJ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:22 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I downloaded and installed the 32-bit CM and sure enough the hue clock was there.  Unfortunately the Open GL capability was gone: the first symptom was that the Alt-RightClick-Drag to adjust the size and hardness of a brush was only showing the size but no hardness (with the red within the brushsize circle).  The second symptom was CS5.1 popping up a little screen saying that my video card (IIRC) had caused a problem, and on the CS edit|preferences|performance GUI no card was identified, when usually it shows there that I have an NVIDIA 9600GT/PCIe/SSE2.

I rebooted to my XP drive (I am dual booting with XP on one internal drive and W7 on a completely different drive, and data on yet another separate drive, and choosing the OS I want at boot time through the BIOS) and called up the same image file I am working on, and all was well--well with the external hue clock and the CM filter, which was not a surprise to me because the two systems are isolated from one another.

I booted back to W7 and rather than click on the "enable openGl drawing" tick box, I simply uninstalled the 32-bit CM.  I then did a cold reboot to W7, did tick the openGL box and noted that the card was identified as it used to be, and the CM filter worked A-OK, but of course no external hue clock.

As you might by now suspect, I am working an image with skin and the external hue clock is a real boon saving me the digression into CM while simply adjusting CS's RGB curves to give me "good" CMYK numbers in the Info Panel and a 12:30 location on the external clock. 

With no external clock available, I thought to go into CM and do the adjustments there: of course I can't see my CS info panel sample points but I can see a CM clock on each of skin sample points, with the readout in RGB.  That's the rub: I want to see CMYK numbers, more importantly I want to see the numbers that I would see if I was in the CS info panel.  I obviously don't know how to get there--when I go to wgCMYK, the cumbers for CMY are the same as they were for the RGB, and the K value is 253. 

So, my question is: How can I get the text of the sample points to be a photoshop CMYK read out yet leaving me free to adjust with the RGB curves?

Look forward to your further advice (or Greg's) at your convenience.

Ciao,

Doug

Postby -default » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Doug,

If your Photoshop image is in CMYK mode, you can adjust in RGB while setting the display mode of the hue clock to CMYK.  I think that will address the functionality you need.

The external hue clock is an independent program that does not interact with Photoshop in any way.  If you install the 32 bit version, but do not actually use the plugin, then you should get the stand-alone hue clock without sacrificing OpenGL support.

I have not had a report yet of the issue with OpenGL being disabled, and would be interested in trying to isolate this problem.

DougJ

Postby DougJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:00 am

Hi Mike,

Again my thanks for your reply. 

Once I can recover the hue clock for W7, I'll attempt to set its display mode to CMYK.  This leads me to the more serious follow-up question:  Will the hue clock run if the 32-bit CM is not installed?

When I copied the hue clock from my XP set up to the W7 set up, it said I needed to reinstall the software for it to run.  So may be I need to get hold of the hue clock from the 32-bit W7 installation file.  I'm asking the above question because I'm thinking that the only way to get the W7 hue clock is to reinstall the 32-bit program, move/copy the hue clock EXE file to a different folder than then uninstall the 32-bit program--I can't imagine that its presence won't once again hide my NVDIA card/drivers from CS5.1

Ciao,

Doug

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Doug,
If I read you right you are saying the stand alone hue clock is messing with the open GL? 
What version of the Direct X assembly's do you have running? 

I have CS5 CS6 and PSE all running fine with the stand alone hue clock. Granted I have ATI Graphic hardware but...
Open GL is a part of the Direct X process pile and the difference between Win7 and XP SP3 can be huge...

Make sure you have an older version of Direct X installed.  You can get 9.x and install it alongside the current version in Win7.  That Might help.  I have some older software that needs a specific Direct X version to run correctly.  Open GL stuff is getting worse in PS as they move to new graphics support.

The hue clock is 32 bit.  The installer is a part of the CM install process and the un-install is taking it out if you remove CM 32 bit.
Greg

DougJ

Postby DougJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for chiming in.

what's messing with my GL?  I can't say that it is the hue clock as distinct from the fact of installing the 32-bit CM under 64-bit W7. 

To review: 64-bit CM works as advertised under 64-bit W7.  When I add the install of the 32-bit CM on the same 64-bit W7 platform it too runs as advertised but either then, or after I've invoked the hue clock, my GL is gone (noticed because GL dependent functions in CS5.1 ceased to function).  For me, the answer was to uninstall 32-bit CM at which the GL returned after the reboot.

If it is a Direct X problem, I'm not interested in going backwards on the W7 platform.  If I'm really desperate for an external hue clock, I'll boot into the SP platform.  However, I can see the hue clocks in 64-bit CM which is clearly a help to me--I just wixh I could get those clocks to read out CMYK values while the image remains in RGB, which, as you know, is how the Adobe info panel works.  So may be Adobe should put out a hue clock! ;) :) :D.

Again, thanks for your observations and suggestions.

Ciao,

Doug

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Not backwards...side by side...
There are parts of the DX stack that programs might need that are no longer supported.  You can add the old without removing the new...I'll see if I can find a link...

Hang in there...
Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:47 pm

This might be worth a look

Actually this is the Link you need...
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Oops..I had to adjust the posting...sorry...
Greg

Postby -default » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Just a quick note - sorry if I missed anything in a quick read of the previous posts from Greg. 

My recommendation would be to update to the latest NVIDIA drivers, re-install CM 32 bit, and see if the problem goes away.  If it does not, perhaps we will pick up a clue and I can chase the bug.

DirectX does not really have anything to do with curvemeister - I'm reasonably sure CM does not use it. It is possible though that Photshop does, and that this might impact the PS/OpenGL issue that Doug reported.
The stand alone hue clock does not display color numbers, only hue angle and saturation are represented by the position and length of the clock hand. 

I have not heard of a problem with CM 32 bit causing problems with Photoshop's recognition of OpenGL - it's certainly likely that there is a problem, but no one has reported it previous to this.  I would be very interested if someone else with the same graphics adapter could report on whether they are seeing problems.

Both of my development systems are Windows 7 64 bit, and I use both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Curvemeister with no problems.  One has a GForce adapter, and the other is ATI Radeon, so I'm not able to see if there is an NVIDIA issue with 64/32 bit.  I suspect we have many other cusomers with this, or a similar configuration and perhaps one of them will have comments.

Return to “Curvemeister Support”