can't save pins-help

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:12 am

been a while since i used CM. but am trying to correct a couple of pictures using pins. want to save a pin and reuse it in another picture. Have been through all the tutorials and think i'm doing it all right but am frustrated.

1) windows 7, PS elements 10.0 CM 3.3.5
2) create sample, convert to pin -- save pin -- i can see it in the pin board
3) save pin file
4) close CM and go back to PS elements.
5) reopen same picture
6) default pins are there but none of the pins i saved
7) so created a new pin file called jess
8) create and save pin again in jesse pin file
9) can see the pin icon in the pinfile but the pinfile jesse says (0) pins and the pin file itself is empty.
10) so while i can see the pin icons, they don't really seem to be saved anywhere so can't reuse them in either the original image or any new image

driving me batty --

help?!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I'll nudge Mike on this I think there is a permissions problem with the folder.

Greg

Postby -default » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Sorry about the trouble.  Saving data like this became a big headache starting with Vista.  The problem is usually that the system wants you to save your pins in a folder that is different from where Curvemeister thinks it should be saved or where Curvemeister does not have permission to create files - for example if you are not running Photoshop using an account that has administrative privileges.  FWIW, there is actually quite a lot of code in Curvemeister devoted to just this problem, and it still does not work correctly under all circumstances.

To find the folder, use the Manage Pins command, which will indicate where the folder is.  Any pins files that are saved there will be loaded when Curvemeister starts up.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks for the response and sorry to be one of those instances where this doesn't work.

the folder where these pins are saved is pretty easy to find as it has the jess.txt file in it that i created using manage pin files -- but the jess.txt file is empty --  so saving pins doesn't seem to work at actually saving any data. So understand that curvemeister saves data there but doesn't seem to save anything in this folder.

the folder is located at

C:ProgramDataCurvemeister.comCurvemeister_3_ElementsSwatches

what do i do now that i know the location of the folder?

i have checked the permissions of the folder and all users/system/groups have full control with exception of special group "CREATOR OWNER" which has no control and from my understanding is never editable under windows 7 under any circumstances.

the laptop is my own and my user account has full administrator privileges and UAC never is triggered when i run elements. 

Postby -default » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm

This must be a UAC, or other permissions related issue, where a dialog is not produced, but the file permissions do not allow the file to be written. 

Right click on the Photoshop.exe file and select "Run as Administrator", and see if you can create and save a new pin file.

If you are able to write the file in this situation, then post back here and we'll try disabling UAC.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks Mike

I ran the photoshop elements editor exe file as an administrator and got same results. Still unable to save pins.

Sorry I thought that might be the answer as well.

Postby -default » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:59 am

Hmmm - let me think on this one a bit.  I'm about to do a new release, and may be able to put something in place to isolate the error, or allow you to reconfigure the folder location.

Sorry about the trouble.  This is one of those problems that happens on some systems, and not others.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Mike, it will create the pin file -- there is a file in the folder named jess.txt -- but it is empty.

not sure if that helps.

Postby -default » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:30 pm

You are absolutely correct that this should be a valuable clue, if I can figure out what it means!  Theoretically, it is possible to have permissions set up so that you can create a file, but not be able to write to it.  This can happen when the directory has write permission, but not the file.  I have never seen this actually happen other than on Linux/Unix.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Try this...
Copy the text from another pin file into the jess.txt file and save it outside of CM and Photoshop.
If you can save to the file outside of CM / Photoshop then we will know that the file and or system rights should not be the problem. 

Open Photoshop and CM and see if the Pins populate correctly.
Mike, we have seen this before I'll start digging into the "archives"
check out this posting
http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php/topic,3526.0.html

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister Support”