Pin Trouble

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:41 pm

I am a new Curvemeister user. I am really trying to master the pins portion of this software. I am having trouble managing the pins.

1. When I right-click in the pins palette, I am only giving the option of New Pin, Pin File, and Hide Pins. Everything else is grayed out. Therefore, I am unable to select the Edit Pin, Duplicate Pin, Delete Pin, Copy Pin as text. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Also, are there more known pin values that I am not aware of, besides the sky, greens, and skin?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:46 pm

I am also getting a pop-up error message when I add a pin file and it wont save when I exit Curvemeister. I says,

"Error Writing Pin File" "Unable to save changed pins to file"

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:38 pm

I'll take a quick swing at this...

C:Program FilesCurvemeister.comCurves 2LibraryPinLibraryGoodies there are many different pins sets to choose from.  You just copy the .txt files out of goodies and into the PinLibrary folder.  Restart CM and you should see them.

I would also read this section of the CM manual...
http://www.curvemeister.com/support/curvemeister2/help/Manual/ColorPinning/000-ColorPinning.htm

There is a lot of information in there about the Pins.  As to your specific error You should get help from Mike on that one...
Greg

Postby -default » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:07 pm

The error is probably due to the file permissions on the pin files.  To check this, use the "Manage Pins" command which is in the right click menu that you mentioned.

I would start with skin tones - pick an image skin tones, and drag the skin 1 pin onto a medium dark area of skin.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:56 am

The error is probably due to the file permissions on the pin files.  To check this, use the "Manage Pins" command which is in the right click menu that you mentioned.

I would start with skin tones - pick an image skin tones, and drag the skin 1 pin onto a medium dark area of skin.

No luck. When I create a new pin and then I close out the image, I get the same error.

Postby -default » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 am

This is probably a permissions error with the pin files.  If you use the "Manage Pins" command, this will open up an explorer window so that you you can check the permissions of the files.  Right click on one of the folders or files that you see in the window, and select "Properties" and see if "Read Only" is checked.  If that is the case, login to an administrator account and change the permissions by allowing "Everyone" to have read and write access to all the files and folders.

If this does not work, I have a way to move the pins folder to a shared area where you can have permission to both modify the files and create new pin files.

In the meantime, it is not necessary to modify pins to make good use of them. One of the most useful pins is Skin 1, which can be used to correct almost any skin tone.

I apologize for this problem, and I hope I'm addressing your concerns in this post.  If not, please help me to zero in on the problem further.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:48 am

This is probably a permissions error with the pin files.  If you use the "Manage Pins" command, this will open up an explorer window so that you you can check the permissions of the files.  Right click on one of the folders or files that you see in the window, and select "Properties" and see if "Read Only" is checked.  If that is the case, login to an administrator account and change the permissions by allowing "Everyone" to have read and write access to all the files and folders.

If this does not work, I have a way to move the pins folder to a shared area where you can have permission to both modify the files and create new pin files.

In the meantime, it is not necessary to modify pins to make good use of them. One of the most useful pins is Skin 1, which can be used to correct almost any skin tone.

I apologize for this problem, and I hope I'm addressing your concerns in this post.  If not, please help me to zero in on the problem further.

NO luck with that either. I am logged in as administrator. I change it and close the folder. As soo as I go back into the folder, the "read only" is checked again.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:37 am

I just uninstalled curvemeister, rebooted the computer, then reinstalled the program and it seems to be working now.

Postby -default » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:09 am

Congratulations on solving the problem yourself!  I'll keep this in mind for the next person who runs into this problem.

Return to “Curvemeister Support”