Program error when working with large files

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:06 pm

I posted this a few days ago in the General discussion part but no answer so will try and post here.

It seems like the program works most of the time but if I open a large file of say 144.megs, I can make the corrections, but when I accept them the program tries to make the changes then gives me a program error could not complete. If I reduce the size of the file then I can make and save the corrections.  Is there a limit on the size of the file that you can make corrections on.  I am using Photoshop CS3 on a dual computer with 2g of memory.  Thanks of the assistance.

George

Postby -default » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi George,

I've encountered a limit of somewhat over 160 megabytes on the system I normally use, so 144 seems a bit on the low side.  If you are using XP pro, there is a /3GB switch you can add to your boot.ini, to allocate more address space to certain programs that are aware of this option.  Photoshop CS2 and later will benefit from this, but not CS and earlier. 

I've enclosed my own copy of boot.ini that supports this option, allowing you to boot either with or with out /3GB enabled.  You may want to compare your existing boot.ini with mine and change the first line to match what you have already. 

Do keep your original boot.ini.  I have had at least one report of someone's system not booting at all after they added the /3GB switch manually.  Please make sure that you are able to boot your system from CD (or other media) to restore your original boot.ini if necessary.

If you are not running XP pro, it may be worth a try anyway.  I am revisiting this problem, which involves Photoshop's internal memory management, and there is a chance that I may be able to improve the max image size - these days 150 megabytes is relatively small.

I apologize for the delay in responding.  I get alerted immediately when someone posts here.  I check the general discussion group a little less frequently.

Return to “Curvemeister Support”