Lack of memory ?

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 am

Hello !

I just purchased a Coolscan 9000, and I started playing with 6x6 film. Of course, when I scan at 4000 dpi, the files are quite big : about 150 Mo (TIFF files), or a little over 8000 x 8000.

And I found that I could not apply Curvemeister to those files : lack of memory. Yet, I still use Windows XP, and I have 2 Go memory. Of course, I have tried freeing memory from PS, but it did not help much...

With TIFF files, I found that I should reduce the size of the files to about 3000 x 3000 for Curvemeister to work. Of course, I could convert to .JPG files, and process 7000 x 7000 files (which are of course compressed).

Is there anything I missed ?

Postby -default » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi Dan,

The upper seems to be dependent on the individual system, and is somewhere between 7Kx7K and 8Kx8K.  I revisit this problem every so often, there appears to be no relief for this problem in PS CS3.

If you are using XP Pro, I've gotten better results (up to 9K square images) by using  a boot switch called the /3GB switch that allocates more address space to Photoshop CS2 and later.  The option has no effect if you are using CS or earlier.  This is a virtual address space adjustment, and it is not directly related to the amount of physical memory on your system.

I've attached the boot.ini file from my system, which provides you with a choice at boot time on whether to boot with the /3GB option or not.  This is not for the timid.  Although there is very little danger of actually trashing your system, be sure to save a copy of your original boot.ini , and make sure you can reboot from other media if necessary to restore your original boot.ini.  At least one person found that his system would not boot at all with this switch enabled, and he had to manually restore his original boot.ini .

Return to “Curvemeister Support”