Curvemeister's beta little bugs ?

Have an installation or other curvemeister related problem? Ask your question here and it shall be answered.

Postby -default » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 am

Hi Frits,

I've looked over your images carefully, and I thank you for the information.  You have checked these more thoroughly than any of the beta testers did, and found at least two new bugs!

All of the color values, except two, are correct. Part of the problem is that I have not explained adequately.

In some cases, where the % sign appears, the color values are displayed from 0(light) to 100(dark) instead of 0(dark) to 255(light).  This option is controlled in two ways: by clicking the diamond shape in the margin of the curve, and by setting it in the Units options.

In some cases there may be a qualtization error that can cause a color value to be off by one, and I believe this is what happened when you displayed an RGB value with the curves set to Lab mode.

The RGB value of 50,37,31, and the similar wgCMYK values are incorrect.  This happens because the values are mistakenly displayed as percentages, instead of the correct 0-255 range.  This will be fixed in the next release, and I thank you once again for finding this.

In your last example, you refer to the hue clock remaining, even after the option is changed to display no hue clock.  This will also be fixed in the next release.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:49 pm

Mike,

again a bug.

difficult to explain.

See the picture and numbers.

I was experimenting wit Targetting the whitepoint RGB ( 255,255,255)
When you not change anything, there is no problem.
The whitepoint spot is pulled up to 255, 255 ,255. See 1 and 2
--
Now I  delete the old white point and make the target 222, 222, 222. and click on apply and ok! See 3.

You see on picture 4 that nothing changed. It stays 255,255,255.

Only when I go out of Curvemeister and start Curvemeister again , then the whitepointvalue is changed to  222,222,222 in the info of the Whitepoint! see pict 5

Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Mike,

I am always curious about why, how and what about things.
Reading the book Photo lab Colors  I was curious about the exactness of Curvemeisters.
Just because there is speaking of Decimal places, witch suggest a high precision.

I made with the computergenerated chart what you can find on http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Graphics/Colors/ColorCharts.ZIP a output in RGB with photoshop elements 4.0 and Curvemeister.
Photoshop gives only RGB output.  Curvemeister gives also RGB output and also in 2 decimal places.
Very good.
But when I set on the Lab mode and also output with 2 decimal places , then I get a curious output.
The a and b are nice, xx,00 but the "L", changes.
When I compare this with a precision CIE Calculator with you can find on :
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/ColorCalculator.html
there is also a difference on all output compared to what Curvemeister found.
Not much , but there is.
Only the red ones are equal.
I have chose another whitepoint or colourspace model , but then it is worse.
Is this a small error or not ?
Till now I don't use the numbers with Curvemeister. But you never know.

Can you explain the how or what ?

Frits

Postby -default » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:50 am

Hi Frits,

First, thanks for finding the problem with the shadow/highlight values not updating.  This bug has been around for a long time.  I'll fix this in the next release.

Re the Lab values being different between the two color spaces.  Curvemeister is working internally at 8 bits per pixel.  The Lightness values will therefore vary from 0 to 100.00 in increments of 1/256.  Most Lightness values will therefore have a fractional decimal component.

The a and b channels are 8 bit values mapped from -128 to 127.  Since the increment is 1.0. the a and b values will be even integer values.

If your image is in 16 bit mode, you will see values closer to those of the Lindebloom calculator.

This was a particularly complex part of Curvemeister, and it's good to see you looking at it in so much detail.

Mike

Postby -default » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:03 am

BTW - Curvmeister will also copy the colors, as text, of any selected sample points. 

Select the samples you are interested in, or ctrl-A to select them all.  Then right click on one of the sample palettes and click on the "Copy Color" menu item, or use ctrl-alt-C.

Example:

RGB(126.7,132.7,117.9)
  RGB(0.0,15.2,1.5)

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:03 am

Mike,
thanks for the explanation.
The last one, did I not know or was forgotten.
I will try it to day several times, so I can't forget it.

frits

DougJ

Postby DougJ » Fri May 12, 2006 5:23 am

I've looked over your images carefully, and I thank you for the information.  You have checked these more thoroughly than any of the beta testers did, and found at least two new bugs!

Hi Mike,

I'm sure glad Frits is on this board.  He's really quite amazing; and, I love his persistence :)

Ciao,

Doug

Postby -default » Fri May 12, 2006 7:01 am

Hi Mike,

I'm sure glad Frits is on this board.  He's really quite amazing; and, I love his persistence :)

Ciao,

Doug

LOL - yes, and Frits found some bugs that everyone else missed!

Return to “Curvemeister Support”