3.0.18 Hard Crash when loading .ACV files

Report and discuss Curvemeister bugs here.

Postby -default » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25 am

Mike,
tried uninstalling again and it appeared to 'take' - cleaned reistry with Desktop Maestro and re-installed - Note instal run As Administrator and UAC is off.

Problem still remains for me as follows:

-Load Curve, Browse History, Browse Library all cause crash of CM-64/CS4-64
-Using a curve that appears in the dialog box is OK, but Browse to = crash
-Favorites list appears and they can be used - note that the 32 bit Folder is accessed however Browse Favorites = crash
-Open a Pin File = crash
-Adding a pin file to the CM64 Swatches folder = crash on opening CM64

Thanks for all this detail - I should be able to recreate the problem from this.  Curvemeister does preview each acv file as it is selected in the file open dialog.  I thought I had taken care of these combinations, but it looks like issues remain for 64 bit.

Note that other than Favorites, CM64 aims at the ProgramData/CM64 folder for History, Library, Swatches.

I have a suspicion that there is some conflict in folder direction and/or folder permissions - because the crash (mostly) occurs by just accessing the Folders.

Certainly possible.  There were a number of permissions issues that had to be addressed when Vista came out.  I think though that it is the "curve preview" feature that is causing the problem, and not folder permissions.

Also as above, CM 64 persists in looking at some CM32 folders and BTW I just noticed that CM32 persists in using CM64's History folder (CM64 was installed after CM32).

These folders are all in the registry.  Looks like a dialog box is in order so that it is possible for you to see and change these folders.

Which raises another question - why is there a need to have duplicate History, Library, Swatches folders for CM32 and CM64? I can't imagine anyone needing to run both 32 and 64 CS4 at the same time.

This is a good point.  I'll see about consolidating these, or at least having a way for you to control them via a new tab in the settings dialog.

Right now I'm in the process of getting v3.0.20 working - this version has the redistributables included in the download image, and a newer version of the crash report software.  Assuming I can recreate the "browse crash", I will include the fix for that as well.

Thanks again for your patience with this.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Mike,
I thought that maybe having both 32 bit and 64 bit installed might be causing problems (although one would need to have both able to work).
Nope - uninstalled both, cleaned registry, rebooted , installed CM 64 only. - Same problems.

The install is still not applying any permissions /ownership to the files and folders in ProrgramData/Curvemeister.com/.... such as Library (although this does not seem to bother CM32). It is correctly setting permissions on the Program Files/Curvemeister.com .. folder and sub folders

I have methodically gone through each CM64 file and folder, took ownership and applied full rights (as an administrator), unfortunately this did not solve anything- apart from now allowing me to place pin files into the Swatches folder.  Note that I can navigate to Goodies but trying to load any of these pin files results in Error - Cannot read Pin File - CM does not crash though on this error :)

Also note that the CM64 install does not create a Backup or Favorites folder in the Program FilesCM.... folder, also there is no crtdll.dll, HueClock.exe,  and there is a zlib.dll instead of a zlib.lib

Hope this helps

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:14 am

Mike,
been 3 weeks now - any progress with the Win 7 64 / CS4/64 load curves problem?

Postby -default » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:46 am

Hi Brian,

Yes, I thought I had fixed the problem and announced it - obviously not in
your case.  Sorry about that.

There is a 3.0.19 in the beta download area that addresses this problem for
both ACV and the txt files used for pins.
http://curvemeister.com/downloads/cm3_beta/64bit.htm

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Mike,

uninstalled 3.0.18 and installed 3.0.19 - still the same problem - only change is that when I try to load a curve it doesn't crash immediately - but as soon as I navigate to a folder with any curves in it - wham it crashes.  Also if I add any pin files to the swatches CM crashes as soon as I open it.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:12 am

Mike, further problems with CS4-64 /CM64

Whilst I can use CM64 (with care - don't open any curve) I have also found that if you add a new pin file from within CM64 i.e. whilst editing an image, this can be used during this session and on other images however, as soon as you restart CS4 and try to load CM64 it crashes.  Very annoying, I just lost 1/2 an hour's work :(

Postby -default » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:43 am

I apologize for the inconvenience and lost work.

I am able to recreate some related behavior - .acv files do not preview correctly from within the open file dialog, and I pin files do not read correctly.  I'm not seeing a crash for either of these, but perhaps after I fix the two bugs that I can reproduce, this will address the problem you are seeing.

Return to “Report Curvemeister Bugs”