floating Hue-clock

Report and discuss Curvemeister bugs here.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu May 17, 2007 7:48 pm

In the past , I discovered that the floating HUE-clock is not so precise as expected.
I was totally forgooten this, till today.
I do sometimes printing a sort of rainbowcolor picture to the printer, to hold the nozzles open.

So I thought , what for values to the Hue clock given.
the green is the most devious.
I like to know, or it is also with your Hue-clock, or it is a deviation from my PSE 2.0 with the Hue-clock.

Frits

Postby -default » Tue May 29, 2007 12:18 am

Hi Frits,

This interesting effect is due to your display profile.  The floating hue clock (aka standalone hue clock) reads RGB values from the display.  If you open one of your screen shots in Photoshop, and look at the green bar, you'll see that it has about 100 points of red, which pushes it toward yellow.

One solution for this would be to have the hue clock use the screen profile to perform a reverse conversion of the RGB numbers.  This would provide a better match with Photoshop's numbers, and therefore Curvemeister's, but might be confusing for web pages and images displayed by other non-color aware applications.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Frits,

This interesting effect is due to your display profile.  The floating hue clock (aka standalone hue clock) reads RGB values from the display.  If you open one of your screen shots in Photoshop, and look at the green bar, you'll see that it has about 100 points of red, which pushes it toward yellow.

One solution for this would be to have the hue clock use the screen profile to perform a reverse conversion of the RGB numbers.  This would provide a better match with Photoshop's numbers, and therefore Curvemeister's, but might be confusing for web pages and images displayed by other non-color aware applications.

Mike,
I have to day again loaded that basic picture, which I use for opening the nozzeles for printing.
I compared again the values in the info and also with the hueclock values.
red banner =    254    0    0
green banner  =    0 255    1  (0 255 0)
Blue banner =      0    0 254
Yellow banner =255 255    1
Cyaan banner =    1 255 255
Mangenta =      255    0 255    (251 0 255)

The values in parenthesis are the values delivered by the hueclock.
The values before are from the info from PSE 4.0
You can see that the values of the banner are not excact.
I have tried once to get them exact and I succeeded.
BUT...... when I save that picture with measured good banners and loaded again the old values are near the same.
So I have tried this more with the same results. I think it is the screen profile witch course the minor problem.

But the values in green are not 100 points of red.
Perhaps the pictures I have uploaded , they have?
But , on writing this , I get the same result with the green banner and the floiting Hue clock (the deviation)  and the same result of 0 255 1 in the "normal" hue clock.
Perhaps the solution you suggest is the best.
I have asked or somebody else had the same results.
No response.
So it is to you, to decide.
the floating hue clock has a certain value in criticize a picture.
So, till now you can be always confused about the values.
also a reason is, that all other values are good for 99 % in the  floiting hue clock.
then the last the color green should also be good.
So it is your decision what to do in the next upgrade or newer CM  version.

Frits

Postby -default » Tue May 29, 2007 10:00 am

This is a difficult problem because even if the stand alone hue clock used the screen profile, this will only be correct for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, and not for other applications such as the web browser.  The result might be more confusion.

If you start curvemeister, the hue clock values from curvemeister should be exactly correct, so perhaps this is the best solution.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am

If you start curvemeister, the hue clock values from curvemeister should be exactly correct, so perhaps this is the best solution.

Mike,
indeed the CM hue clock is very correct.
So, I like other opnions.

Frits

Return to “Report Curvemeister Bugs”