Chasing a pesky bug re other apps overlapping Photoshop

Report and discuss Curvemeister bugs here.

Postby -default » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm chasing a bug that sometimes causes Photoshop to bury itself behind the other applications after Curvemeister is finished.  After this happens, Photoshop refuses to front itself, even if I click on the Photoshop icon in the Windows taskbar.  The only way out is to minimize each of the other applications, after which Photoshop returns to normal.

If you have experienced this bug, and know of a way to make it happen consistently, please let me know as I would like to fix this problem for the next fix-release of Curvemeister 2.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Mike the only time I have seen this is when you use the minimize maximize functions of windows.  If you minimize PS when CM is open it will not return to the screen without going to "Task manager", and using "switch to".  This returns PS to the screen.

It feels like a lost focus Issue.

If CM has the focus and you minimize the PS windows, CM is not giving the focus to back PS for return to full screen. So when you go to restore PS it "cannot go there" because CM still has the focus. 

"Switch To" forces the focus to move to the app you want to "switch to"  i.e. PS then PS can and  will restore to full screen.

Greg

Postby -default » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:43 am

Well, I seem to have a knack for scaring bugs away - I tried your procedure, and when I minimize Photoshop, Curvemeister also minimizes, and when I bring CM to the front, there are no problems with the application being in front when it should be.  If I'm missing anything in your procedure, let me know.

Mike

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:58 pm

I'll Try it again and see if I can get it to stick..I have seen this happen...

OK... here is how I can get it to happen 100%

Open PSE5, open image file, Open CM.  Make some CM changes.

Use the windows shortcut "flag key - M" to minimize all windows. 
If you click on the PSE item on the task bar it should restore...It does not...
If you right click on the item and choose "restore" it should...it does not....
If you click on Maximize..it should restore..it does not...
If you open the task manager and choose "switch to" you get the correct response...

Close CM and do the same thing with just PSE5 and the windows functions are correct.

Tested without making a CM change and it responds the same way, non-functional unless CM is closed.

I think it is related to your use of the viewing window.  When I minimized the CM viewer in PSE I could not restore it. I had to use Crtl-Alt-Del to kill PSE5.  I could not get the program to close at all. Before you close the CM Viewing note the buttons are greyed out but become active when you mouse over them. See Print Screen.

Hope this helps

Works every time so far...X 5

Greg

Postby -default » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:36 pm

Thanks Greg.  I tried this with both CS and PSE2 on my XP system and everything, of course, worked perfectly.  I'll try the same thing on my Win2K system and see what that does.  I think I'm very close to reproducing the problem thanks to your efforts.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 am

I think I have had this problem when I have opened the image first in Bridge and then imported it to PS for editing. So the image to be edited is open at the same time in Bridge and PS. I have not really tested this but somehow I came to this conclusion.

Regards,

Erkki

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:02 am

Use the windows shortcut "flag key - M" to minimize all windows. 

I don't know witch key I must Use. ( dutch XP version)
So, I have tried all your suggestions, but it don't succeeded.

I had to use Crtl-Alt-Del to kill PSE5. 

I use Ctrl -Alt-Del often.
But I have the taskmanager years ago  replaced with process explorer from www.sysinternals.com.
It is easy.
You can do then a lot more tasks and other things.
Very nice, I use it for years now. Process explorer is for free.
You can also bring prgr's to the front with it and do a lot more.

Frits

Postby -default » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:08 am

Just a quick follow-up.  I spent some time tracking this problem down.  It does not affect Photoshop, or earlier versions of Elements.  It does show up, exactly as Greg describes, in PSE5, using Windows-M to minimize all apps, after which clicking on the PSE5 item in the task bar would fail to bring up PSE5. 

I was not able to come up with a fix for the problem.  I was able to get the same behavior with Photoshop's own Unsharp Mask filter, so for the time being I am considering this to be Adobe's bug.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 am

Reading the whole stuff again: indeed I must use the windows key and the M.
Stupid of me.

So tried all wat Greg said, I have no problem.
P.S.E. 4 pops always up , also with different other prgrs on, with windows  and CM on.
So , in my opnion it is not a CM problem.

frits

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Yea me....
Another PSE bug.....

Greg

Return to “Report Curvemeister Bugs”