A way to directly convert color negative scan to positive image?

Got an interesting technique, or a question about how to solve a particular problem? You've come to the right place!
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:17 pm

The 2 library files for negatives will get you in the ball park.

Once you have a correction you like for a given set of negatives you can re-use the curve on other images from the same roll of film.  Each roll of film will have a unique mask layer so the curves will never be exact but they will get you close.

The process is really simple.

1) make a correction you like and apply the correction to the image.
    - Curvemeister automatically saves the ACV file to your history folder. 

2) Open a second image from the same roll of film and apply your last curve to it from the history folder.
        + Click the load button and you should see the history folder, drill down to the month.
        + drill down to the file name, click on the file name and it will load the ACV.
3) make any small tweaks needed and apply to the new image.

Greg

Alex314

Postby Alex314 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 am

Thank you Greg.

Yes, I now remember more about the saving and loading of curves in CM and I think I am in business now.

One thing while you are at it: in your video, when you set shadow and highlight points, you have a hue clock with e.g. a R value of 239 and to the right I see what you call a channel value of 13.

When I try to do this I get in the first place a hue clock without text: I have to adjust that manually every time. Also your hue clock shows for R:
"R 239 / 13". Mine shows "R 7 / 95%". What am I missing? It is obvious that I know far too little at this moment of the power of CM :-[

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:34 pm

The hue clock settings are found in t he configuration area.  Look for the wrench on the upper right corner of the curves window.  The settings in there determine the look of the hue clocks.  You need to look for the settings around the display.  Select the "0-255" values and "hue clock and text" check box.

Remember that the curves get inverted by the first ACV file that I applied.  This causes the light end of the curve to be the dark end of the adjustment.  My hue clock showed 13 in the red channel but I had to adjust the "light" end of the curve because of the inversion.

Greg

Alex314

Postby Alex314 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Greg,

That was just what was missing in my setup. It was a very instructive thread for me and I am grateful for the attention my problem got. Thank you very much!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:17 pm

You are quite Welcome.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister Techniques”