Curvemeister on layers

Got an interesting technique, or a question about how to solve a particular problem? You've come to the right place!
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 am

Steve...
The tone and content of the images is wonderful and many people are leaving strong colors in HDR type images.  I have not held my tongue I have simply enjoyed the complement from you and ...
Allowed your interpretation to stand..

If I knew you were looking for help on these...well that is another matter entirely.  I wondered out loud why the shadows were so strongly blue.  If you like I'll take a swing at them and post my results.  Part of the reason for the difference between the Photoshop version and the Web is the color space.  Are you in sRGB in Photoshop?  or Pro RGB?  check the color space you are defaulting to.  If you want them to match the web you need to work in sRGB or RGB

give me a bit of time and we'll see what happens....
Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Steve,
I'm sure the original has more data in it and may be able to be saved in other ways...I tried various solutions from masking to harsh curves.  In the end the best solution I found and you are completely free to tell me to jump off a cliff here...

I created copy of your image on a new layer and desaturated it to B&W.  To this layer I added a L channel mask that was contrasted up until only the blue cube on the right and a few other highly bright areas were left.  I then used various soft brushes to paint on the mask in 70% white where I wanted the colors to come back through and black into areas where I needed the colors shut down.

Overall it took me about 5 minutes with the masking to get the results shown...It took longer to surrender the Idea of curving this than it did to fix it.

Greg

Attachments
gg_lompoc-sunrise-03-jpg
gg_lompoc-sunrise-03-jpg (287.89 KiB) Viewed 7129 times

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 am

I did not think of that. I did another pass with HSL.  I clicked on the most offending object (the box) and messed with saturation and hue mostly.  Curves are great, but at the end sometimes a scalpel is best.  I will post it in a day or two.

Return to “Curvemeister Techniques”