Work Flow issues

Got an interesting technique, or a question about how to solve a particular problem? You've come to the right place!
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Rick,
In thinking about your work flow The volume of images is what I keep coming back to...

Are these images all shot under similar conditions?  if yes you could try this...

Open your 1st image and make the corrections you need. get everything done in CM that you would do to every image and then save the curve as an ACV file to the desktop.

Apply the changes and move on to the next image. 

Open CM on the second image and press the "Load" button.  This will open the load dialog and you can select the ACV file from the desktop. Tweak the specific image and apply your changes.

Rinse repeat...on as many images as you have shot under the same conditions or lighting.  If you have a major change your saved ACV cannot handle then create a new one and start using that one until it again starts to fail you. 

This would get you along faster I think overall...

Another options would be to just use the Ctrl-F keystroke in PS to apply the last filter.  If CM is that filter the last saved curve is applied to the current image via CM.

Still thinking....
Greg

Rickypics

Postby Rickypics » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Hello Greg,

I have been using saved curve files when there is the opportunity for using the same curve levels. It works great with images taken in my studio and sometimes helps with same area shots like church interiors at weddings or corporate event work.

What I have not done is set up a photoshop batch action to run the saved curve file. Will I be able to do that with the saved CM files?

My goal is to make better prints faster. Maybe it is not possible.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:37 pm

probably not because of the "load file" dialog....

If Mike is reading this he might have some ideas for more automation...

Greg

Rickypics

Postby Rickypics » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Hello Greg,

I realize that I am attempting to use CM's abilities to help replace other software that already does some of the things I need. I own other software and use it but where CM shines is its plug-in and co-ordination with PhotoShop. It saves having multiple image editing software open and the transfer time between products. This preface is to let you know that if I am asking something that should be done in another program please inform me of that. "It will not work" is an acceptable answer.

Yesterday, I had 172 images to go from both nef and jpgs to final print out. I did convert Nikon nef to tiff using NikonCapture. From there they went to PS for work along with the jpg images for final processing. I use PS for preparing for the RIP cause I am fast and efficient with it.

My biggest slowdown and frustration yesterday in CM was the guessing wrong or taking the time to attempt to find a better white or neutral point. The deleting a point and then having to click and choose again the remaining choices drove me batty. It got to the point that I stopped experimenting to see if there was a better point available. I must admit in comparison that NikonCapture is clunky when it comes to changing points also. The visual distraction of having to read menu items again, mouse and click, then finally verify that the choice is best really slows down a process.

Another point:

Is there a keyboard command to use the [compare] function that toggles between the before and present views in CM? Having to move the mouse to the button and do the compare then back to work is both visually and mentally distracting.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 pm

For the compare there is not one listed in the menu's.  I just set mine to the "end" key  It toggles the compare on and off.  It does not function the same as the compare button but it keeps your hand on the keyboard.

I feel your pain on the high volume photo edits..I did 63 images last night myself for a slide show.  I have another 50+ tonight.  I really did think of you...

As for the NEF conversion could you use the automate function of PS to convert to TIFF.  It can batch process those files and you could have a coke while you wait for them to finish.  You can use ACR with the settings zeroed out if you do not want changes.  That is what I do with my larger jobs.  I use the "automate" to convert images from NEF and stamp the file name into the lower right corner of the image for proofs.

Instead of deleting the neutral, just click on it and drag it to the new location.  Same with the shadow and highlights, they are movable.  Personally, I use the side threshold with the entire image in the window so I can see the first white specks and then I just back off a bit.  It's pretty fast and I do not have to hunt for the highlight it just pops out at me.  Same for the shadow...Just grab the right and left edges of the composite curve in RGB or the L channel in LAB and slide the threshold out into the curve. 

Let's keep talking and see what comes out of this...I think many people are getting something here...
Greg

Rickypics

Postby Rickypics » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Howdy Forum,

I finally caught up with my high school athletic team and individual packages so here I am once again with seemingly simple problems.

Is there a way to speed up the typing of the shadow and highlight numbers in the wrench box? I find my self jumping around often on a daily basis setting black and white numbers between for the web, which I leave at 0 and 255, and for print in the studio with shadows between 9 thru 21 and whites between 252 and 240. All these numbers depend on my paper and output options as to where the corrected image is to be used.

Typing 0,0,0, and then 255,255,255 then save and close and next couple of images need 12,12,12 and 242,242,242 save and close then later back to the first 0 and 255 and on becomes bothersome and most definitely slows me down.

Just my first thought of the day as I just hit two changes in a row and thought about it again.

Postby -default » Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am

Coming late to the party here, folks.  Greg has suggested a good work-around, and I agree this is a bug.  Deleting the neutral should not affect the highlight and shadow points.  It's on the bug list, and should be dealt with as soon as - and this is a big one - the 32 and 64 bit beta versions are squared away.

Return to “Curvemeister Techniques”