And Finally...Week 5

This forum is for the 201 Class preview testers and discussion.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:22 pm

OK...This is not what I set out to create but in hindsight it is probably also not what you were expecting.
After lengthy discussion and debate between Mike and myself Here is what the thought process was...

There is way too much information out in the world about calibration and way too many possible combinations of hardware and software for me to make an intelligent discussion out of it.  I have therefore stuck to my experience.  I have written about what happened to me and how I was able to get my process in control.  It is by no means perfect but it serves as a road map for you to use to get your process under your control.

the danger here is that there is not enough technical data in the process but the fact is my technical data will differ from yours in such a great fashion that the only way to do this is well... to do it.

It is my hope that you will find the path reasonable and easy to follow. 

As always...pick it apart and question everything...that is how we learn about this stuff.

Here is the link:
http://curvemeister.com/curvemeisterwp/curvemeister-201-week-5/

I have some polish to add and a few other things to complete so feel free to post any and all suggestions.

Greg

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Profiling paper.  There are canned profiles.  I often buy Red River paper with its profiles.  Preferred would be to do your own.  But the print profile hardware is a little expensive for a hobbiest.  Glossy or luster papers do okay with canned profiles.  "fine art" papers much less so.  I assume and have read it is due to the ink absorption of the paper printer combination.  The profile needs to be conservative, but with glossy or luster papers there is less of that type of variability. 

I bought a demo pack and the fine art paper looked flat while the more standard papers looked far better.  I decided not to go too far down the "rabbit hole" of printer profiling of fine art paper.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks alot Greg. Will be away for few days but I'm taking a copy on my tablet and will be reading

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Steve,
wow that is one rabbit hole I will avoid like the Ebola virus. 

If it is important to you to use a specific paper you would need to add it to the testing process and adjust your image as needed to bring out your expected results.  Just remember that the print is subtractive and your display is additive. a little display change can make a pretty large print change.

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:32 am

Hi

Thanks for your persistence

I am really going to have to get out my study brain for this one
Its good for me, I think.

I can be your 'dummy' test on this one Greg
If I can get it, the instructions and explanations will be excellent!

I'm a bit busy till Tuesday but will be having a good look then

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Julie,
I look forward to your questions and comments.
I found half the battle was understanding what I wanted and what I was willing to compromise on.

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 am

Hi all,

this is being written after reading replies to my PPW question

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Greg and others.

I have just realised how much I have learnt over the last few years
I notice things in images, and life, that I just would not have even seen previously.
Sometimes I can fix things, sometimes not, but I notice them.

My awareness of colour, contrast, texture and tone has changed has changed so much.
Sometimes I lack the language to describe what I am seeing but I am getting better and better at knowing when something is 'off'.

My appreciation of colour, photography, art and nature has changed significantly.
Sometimes its tricky when looking at images that I know should be corrected but they don't belong to me. But mostly its great.

And thanks to this forum for all your answers and encouragement.

Thanks
Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Julie,
re: "Sometimes its tricky when looking at images that I know should be corrected but they don't belong to me. But mostly its great."

I always try to be gentle with the critique especially if they are asking for help.  I try to add that my assessment is opinion unless I can find a fault I can show with a hue clock or a image improvement. 

When I teach a class you guys are expecting some critique and in fact you need it to help you decide to change things in your images and workflows.  It easy to throw stones but you guys have taught me to be ready to defend my opinion.  AND you have taught me to accept some different ways of thinking about this stuff.

Lately, I have been editing images on a website called Reddit for fun...Yeah...I need a new hobby....There is a growing group of people that post problem images and ask for help.  It is a great way to show a better way and add Curvemeister to the discussion.  I download the images and work on them when I feel I can make a difference.  Most times it is an over processed, over colorized image that really needs a serious work over.  At first it took some guts to get out there and provide critique but soon enough people were sending me private notes asking how I learned the stuff and how impressed they were.  That gave me the courage to keep going. 

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Greg, this chapter is a new revelation to me. Thanks so much. I think I was generally avoiding printing because its mostly a disaster. I'm keen now to start playing :) I only own a cheapish ink jet printer, but fortunately across the street from us is a printing  shop. Thanks again.

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 am

Hi Greg,

Can you provide a link to the Reddit site, specifically to the part of the site in which you are editing images?  I've looked at the site but am having difficulty finding it (it's a bit confusing to navigate through, at least for me).

Thanks,
Art

Return to “CM201 Beta Testers”